Make A Fondant Circular Ruler??

Decorating By Debbye27 Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm by chelleb1974

Debbye27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbye27 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 3:49am
post #1 of 3

I am making a kindergarten cake- and I have seen a few cool ones that use a ruler or tape measure on the bottom of a round cake. I want to try this on my cake, but am unsure how to begin. First, how do I find out how long it needs to be for a 10 inch pan? Second, would you roll one long strip or do it in sections? Then paint it before it's attached or when it's straight? If anyone has any insight into this, I would appreciate it, I have to finish this tomorrow!!

2 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 4:57am
post #2 of 3

Well, if you're using fondant, color it yellow and then make the markings on the strip with either piping or a black food coloring pen after you've placed it around the cake. For a 10" round you'll probably need a 32" strip. But hey...get a real measuring tape and go around the base to be sure! Since this is a measuring tape, you probably can get away with it not being one smooth strip...the breaks shouldn't show as much. That's what I would do anyway! Good luck!

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 2:29pm
post #3 of 3

I would cover the entire cake board with yellow fondant. Let the fondant dry for a day or so before putting the cake on the board, then use either edible markers or piping gel or royal icing to make the ruler markings.

~Chelle

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%