Haunted By A Cake

Decorating By Isacake Updated 13 Oct 2011 , 1:46am by paulstonia

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:42am
post #1 of 16

Hi all! Just for fun, have you ever feel haunted by a cake? I ask because I am since the last 2 weeks! I had a superb idea for my best friends birthday cake. A lighten blown sugar piece on top of a lime green cake. This cake is litterally keeping me awake at night! I'm figuring out all the details in my head, changing this an that and planning the making of it. I just have to let this get out of my head by doing it! The problem is, I have to wait 2 more weeks to wait before I can do it! I'm obssesed. So, have you ever feel this way or am I just plain crazy???

p.s: My english is not perfect, sorry of I made mistakes!

15 replies
sillywabbitz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sillywabbitz Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:56am
post #2 of 16

I am haunted by every cake I do...it definitely keeps me up nights and all I want to do is work on it even if it's weeks awayicon_smile.gif

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:56am
post #3 of 16

Well if that is haunted, I am haunted by ALL my cakes! icon_biggrin.gif I think about the design through out the day and even when I am going to bed at night. I lay there and contemplate EVRY detail, to what I need to accomplish the cake to the design, all the way until I fall asleep. icon_wink.gif

vnas5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vnas5 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:58am
post #4 of 16

This happens to me all the time! When I'm really excited about a new design or really anxious about trying new things. Sometimes ill even have dreams about the cake!

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 5:31am
post #5 of 16

I'm a newbie and it happen to me all the time I have an idea...believe it or not, I already have at least 10 cake designs inside my head....and kept me awake every night ! icon_biggrin.gif

tesso Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tesso Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:27am
post #6 of 16

bonjour! went out on a limb and guessed that you are french canadian.

good news you are not haunted you're overwhelmed with creativity and cake passion, join the crowd at the so many ideas and just not enough time club.

for me the only way to deal with the creative side is to make sketches so that I dont forget the design idea. that is what I find that usually creates the "haunt" feeling, being afraid of forgetting the design idea. So sketch it out make a list of what you want to achieve with the cake and any ideas related to it, and start a cake inspiration folder. It really helps. and it frees your mind to create more ideas.

Au revoir !

thats all the french i know, Désolé icon_sad.gif

Isacake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Isacake Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:48am
post #7 of 16

Bravo Tesso, you guessed right! I am a french canadian indeed. Your suggestion is awesome, this will help me a lot. I'm relieved that i'm not the only one. Passionnate and overload with creativity is the good terms, too bad I cannot do cake all the time. I have young kids and a full time stressing job, caking is my way to spend quality time with myself! Thank you all, I feel better this morning!

Karen421 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karen421 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 12:53pm
post #8 of 16

For me, I can fall asleep ok, but 3:30am like clock work, I am wide awake, going over and over and over everything. I've about decided it would just be easier to get up jot down the new idea and go back to sleep. But of course, I don't, so my cat knows to just jump off the bed before she gets woke up a million times. icon_smile.gif

kmstreepey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmstreepey Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 1:28pm
post #9 of 16

I am the same way! It gets in my head and I get so excited I can't stop thinking about it or figuring out how to do the design I want. One thing that really helps me fall asleep is a notebook and pencil beside my bed. That way, I get it out of my head at least a little and can jot down ideas if I need to. I really love that so many of us get that excited about cakes!

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:11pm
post #10 of 16

I have this same issue. Usually it takes a bit for an idea to start keeping me up at night.

I cannot tell you how many nights I've slept very little because of this. As I'm laying there, I just cannot stop thinking about it; I usually get a lot of ideas at this time (though I still have yet to have a finished product that even remotely looks like what I've envisioned... but then again what I envision is a finished product that is beyond where my skills are at).

I prefer this to happen at work as it makes my day go by faster. I consider it a very productive day when this happens. Not only do I get more work done (mundane boring stuff), I also end up with ideas and a plan.

mbark Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbark Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 10:22pm
post #11 of 16

ugh, yes. I love it on one hand to get those creative juices flowing, but it seems to keep me up some nights and occupy my mind when I should be focusing (like in church, yikes)

cathyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyscakes Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:16pm
post #12 of 16

I know its strange, I love planning the cakes ahead of time, and its inevitable that the day of the cake, I wake up and have a sense of doom. I worry things won't go right, and I remember how excited I was to be able to start on the cake, and when it comes, I don't want to do it. lol. It usually works out, but it takes some time to get into the flow of it.

augurey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
augurey Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:44pm
post #13 of 16

Now that I'm thinking about it, does anyone have suggestions on how to actually get some sleep during these nights?

Granted I love the brainstorming and ideas that come, but some nights it just. doesn't. stop.

I'll be laying there for 2 hours past the time I try to be asleep. I remind myself that I can think about this in the morning and that I need to sleep, so I try to clear my mind. Less than 5 minutes later I'm back to thinking about it and inwardly cursing because I just cannot stop thinking about it. Finally I drift off to sleep and 2-3 hours later my alarm is going off, trying to drag myself out of bed.

Bridgette1129 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bridgette1129 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 11:59pm
post #14 of 16

This has happened to me the past few nights, but last night I got a great idea on a cake I want to make next week. icon_smile.gif I get the best ideas right before I fall asleep!

CSIMisty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSIMisty Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 12:59am
post #15 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isacake

Hi all! Just for fun, have you ever feel haunted by a cake? I ask because I am since the last 2 weeks! I had a superb idea for my best friends birthday cake. A lighten blown sugar piece on top of a lime green cake. This cake is litterally keeping me awake at night! I'm figuring out all the details in my head, changing this an that and planning the making of it. I just have to let this get out of my head by doing it! The problem is, I have to wait 2 more weeks to wait before I can do it! I'm obssesed. So, have you ever feel this way or am I just plain crazy???

p.s: My english is not perfect, sorry of I made mistakes!

Hey! Yes, I have felt that way too. Plan ahead and try it out. You want to know if you can do it and what changes, if any, you will need to do.

paulstonia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paulstonia Posted 13 Oct 2011 , 1:46am
post #16 of 16

Oh me too, I do this with other things too. If I'm planning a trip or having a party, I can't fall asleep because I keep thinking of all the things I have to remember to do! I can't fall asleep until I get a note pad and start a list. I'm not the best drawer (sp?) but thank goodness I discovered graph paper, I can actually get a sketch done now and that helps a lot when I'm planning a cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%