Iso Gluten-Free Strawberry Cake

Baking By LadyPol Updated 17 Oct 2011 , 1:50am by JGMB

LadyPol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LadyPol Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 5

Anyone have a tried and true recipe?? I haven't baked wheat free (gluten free) before but have a new client who has requested a GF strawberry cake.

4 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 11 Oct 2011 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 5

I normally add Hero compounds, but they have gluten in them. Try your regular recipe plus strawberry extract or strawberry syrup intended for flavoring coffees.

KristyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KristyCakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:25am
post #3 of 5

I find my GF recipes to be very unpredictable. Last time I tried the box mix (Betty Crocker, I think?) I've added flavoring and substituted flavored liquids for the water. I found it to be better tasting. Be prepared to make extra, though, because they don't rise as much as nonGF cakes.

Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_N_Spice_Cakes Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:47am
post #4 of 5

Double check all ingredients and Clean everything very well! I have celiacs and can't eat out, because cross-contamination is a major problem. Celiacs can react to microscopic amounts of gluten.

I really like Pamela's mixes. I buy them at Publix. They come in a pink bag and make two 8 or 9 inch rounds. I haven't tried modifying one to strawberry. I don't like the Betty Crocker one at all.

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 17 Oct 2011 , 1:50am
post #5 of 5

I have the book "Artisanal Gluten-Free Cupcakes" by Kelli and Peter Bronski. Although I haven't specifically tried the Strawberry Cupcake recipe, I've had great success with their other recipes.

It takes a lot of specialty ingredients like xanthan gum and sorghum flour. I'm willing to type it out and pm it to you if you think you'd actually try it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%