Long Nails

Decorating By grandmaruth Updated 5 Mar 2012 , 12:57am by Norasmom

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:12am
post #61 of 70

I haven't had nails since I was 20 years old...before I had kids and started cake decorating..I always keep mine short and unpolished especially with fondant.It dents so easily...plus I can't be bothered to manicure them every few days...

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:22am
post #62 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Let's face it, the problem is not the nails is how careless some people are
about sanitation.
Edna

Sorry you're wrong...the problem is the long nails. Ask any health department inspector or culinary instructor and they'll tell you to cut your nails and not wear any polish around food preparation.

It's the rules when you work with food...like it or not.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 12:23am
post #63 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Let's face it, the problem is not the nails is how careless some people are
about sanitation.
Edna

Sorry you're wrong...the problem is the long nails. Ask any health department inspector or culinary instructor and they'll tell you to cut your nails and not wear any polish around food preparation.

It's the rules when you work with food...like it or not.

The are rules and there are people with bad habits..I seen some people with short nails that are dirtier than long ones.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 1:46am
post #64 of 70

I agree, Edna, especially when the short nails are the result of the person biting them. They are gross when they are short and ragged and very unsanitary.

siuingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
siuingme Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 12:57am
post #65 of 70

This is interesting thread.

I can't grow my nail long since maybe I was born....so, I never grow my nail. Even though I wanted when I was teenager..then I married and had a baby. So, I keep my finger and nail short and clean...after my baby grown up, I'm cooking for family and just habit...I don't like my hair hanging around my face, I'm diver too. Believe me, as a diver you don't want your hair hanging around your face or flying around in the water like mermaid..
The habit about short nail, keep hair tied..and I'm doing cake now. The same rule goes through.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 24 Oct 2011 , 9:01am
post #66 of 70

My HD doesn't have a rule about polish and I do wear one coat of clear on my short nails. If I don't, the constant exposure to hot water causes them to split and my nails will be too soft and subject to injury. I use a good brand that will not come off with one coat.

We are supposed to wear gloves when touching the final product, but in some fondant applications, I just can't do it correctly. I use the smallest gloves, but I still get wrinkles on the tips. I'll opt for the soap in those situations.

BarbaraM0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraM0809 Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 3:56am
post #67 of 70

When the girl was standing on a ladder trying to put the finishing touches on the cake all I could think of was the little deodorant balls that form in your pits.[/quote]

*GAG* blech that would gross me out to the point of puking! icon_eek.gif and oh dear goodness what if they hadn't shaved?!?!? tapedshut.gifthumbsdown.gif

rosech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosech Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 8:14am
post #68 of 70

My aunt used to visit hotel kitchens when she was a teenager to expand her knowledge on cooking. She told me about how they pick steak from the dirty floor and cook it. Saving $.

There is a post on building a bakery blog where blogger could not find her chipped painted nail. They were about to throw away cupcake batter when she found it. The panic!

pollycupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pollycupcake Posted 4 Mar 2012 , 11:39pm
post #69 of 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmaruth

just curious how any of you with long nails manage to work with fondant.

I keep mine short and neat,i own a nail and beauty salon in uk and i understand/know what can be under long nails/extentions you can wash wash wash your hands nails but dirt and germs still stay under the free edge of the nail.get the file out ladies!!!

Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 5 Mar 2012 , 12:57am
post #70 of 70

Acrylic is poisonous...it shouldn't come in contact with food... icon_biggrin.gif Although, if I had fake nails, it wouldn't stop me from baking cakes. I can't afford the maintenance on them though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%