Steampunk Molds

Decorating By jomo31313 Updated 10 Oct 2011 , 11:23pm by jomo31313

jomo31313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jomo31313 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:00pm
post #1 of 6

I have a steampunk wedding cake to make for the end of the month. Looking for fondant or chocolate molds of cogs and gears but havent found anything! Anybody know where I can get some or an alternative to the mold? If I have to, I'll free hand them with some stencils...but the molds would be my first choice.

Thanks!

5 replies
seedrv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seedrv Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 6

I'd consider making my own molds looking for gears, etc in a hardware store. I think I saw somewhere that someone made molds out of the gears from an old bicycle.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:10pm
post #3 of 6

I just hate spending the extra bucks on specialty molds that I may or may not use again. Try this: At your local hobby store purchase Crayola Model Magic (its approx $2-$3 per bag). Press your item into some of the Magic stuff and let it dry overnight and voila! You've got a mold and it didn't cost you an arm & a leg either.

I used this to make the butterfly bodies on my Blue Gelatin Butterfly cake and have made many more items since. In fact, it will open up another world of possibilities for you. Good luck! Can't wait to see your cake too.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jomo31313

I have a steampunk wedding cake to make for the end of the month. Looking for fondant or chocolate molds of cogs and gears but havent found anything! Anybody know where I can get some or an alternative to the mold? If I have to, I'll free hand them with some stencils...but the molds would be my first choice.

Thanks!

I just made some steampunk molds. I went to Michaels and got some gears from the scrapbooking section, glued a few on top of each other so they would give a better impression, used the Amazing mold putty or whatever it's called and voila -- insta molds! icon_biggrin.gif

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 4:27pm
post #5 of 6

Etsy...I got a ton of food safe steam punk molds on Etsy. They're awesome!

jomo31313 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jomo31313 Posted 10 Oct 2011 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you for the tips! I think I'm going to try and make my own molds for this one and go from there...It might be more expensive...but something tells me I probably will make a couple more steampunk cakes in the future after this one!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%