How Long Do You Save Your Royal?

Baking By giraffe11 Updated 15 Oct 2011 , 11:10pm by 6ducks

giraffe11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 14

I keep it in ziplocs with the air squeezed out, so it doesn't dry. How long do you generally keep it and still reuse. I have kept it for a couple of weeks before, but I may be pushing the limits now. Any input? Thanks

13 replies
giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 14

Anyone?

vicki3336 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vicki3336 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 6:58pm
post #3 of 14

I'm a little reticent to answer this since the last time I answered a question about how long I kept something, I was informed how wrong I was to do so. But, since I hate to see you go unanswered, here goes:

I, personally, have frozen royal icing for over three months and used it after thawing with no problems. I don't know about leaving it on the counter more than a week as I haven't done that. Hopefully, someone who has will come along to help.

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 8:09pm
post #4 of 14

I remember something about Antonia's RI could stay on shelf for three weeks. I have frozen it before for few months and it was fine. The test was if it smelled at all like alcohol, it's no good

ALVARGA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ALVARGA Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 14

I have left it on the counter for probably two weeks and used it but I pitch it after two weeks.

giraffe11 Posted 7 Oct 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 14

THanks all. It doesn't smell at all, but I think I'm going to pitch it. It is Antonia's, but I have had it for about 6 weeks. So.........guess I'll be making all of those colors again tonight. Have a great weekend. H

SAHCaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SAHCaker Posted 8 Oct 2011 , 1:00am
post #7 of 14

My royal icing separates after the second/third day. So do you guys just rebeat and reuse? Thanks to the OP for posting this!

PinkLisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkLisa Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 11:55am
post #8 of 14

From what I've read, royal icing can stay out for 2 weeks in a airtight container. I make a large 4 pound batch and put in small individual containers. I keep one out and freeze the rest. I usually get through this small container for my week's cakes. If you color the icing, just freeze it for future use.

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:17pm
post #9 of 14

This is something I've been wondering about too. Thanks for all of the advice! I think I will make a batch and freeze it in small portions.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 1:18pm
post #10 of 14

I had no idea you could freeze royal icing! I love learning new things!! icon_smile.gif

Serena4016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Serena4016 Posted 9 Oct 2011 , 2:05pm
post #11 of 14

Oh yeah! I don't use royal icing much, so I make a batch and freeze what I do not use. I just defrost it, use what I need and pop the unused stuff back in the freezer! I freeze leftover everything!! The worst that will happen is I will have to throw it out! Usually, I am surprised at how well things freeze if wrapped very well!!

shiney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shiney Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:04pm
post #12 of 14

Separating is normal, just stir it up and off you go!

allaboutcakeuk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allaboutcakeuk Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 9:24pm
post #13 of 14

I keep for up to 2 weeks - this is of course RI made with meriwhite and not fresh egg whites icon_smile.gif after that I either ditch it or, a fab useage for old stuff, is to make pastillage out of it. You can make hard structures, support sticks etc out of it. i use it for castle turrets etc HTH

6ducks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
6ducks Posted 15 Oct 2011 , 11:10pm
post #14 of 14

If it is made with fresh egg whites, it will only last a day, after that the texture isn't the same. If you aren't fussd about the texture, it will keep for 2/3 days. If it's made out of meringue powder, I have kept it on the shelf for up to 2 weeks before throwing out. But I have never heard of freezing it! Will definitely give it a try. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%