Calling All Creative Thinkers - Construction Crane?

Decorating By GarciaGM Updated 6 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm by GarciaGM

GarciaGM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GarciaGM Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 3:50am
post #1 of 5

My friend runs a steel construction business and is expecting her first child. I'm doing her baby shower cake. The theme of the invitation is "join us to celebrate as they BUILD their family," and I included a watermark of a crane holding a steel beam. I'd like to carry that theme through to the cake. I was thinking it would be really cool to build a construction crane to carry the baby, instead of the traditional stork. But I have no idea how to build a crane. Gumpaste? Fondant? Modeling wire dipped in chocolate? Can any of you creative peeps out there help me come up with a way to execute this? I am looking to build a crane something like the one on this page:

http://www.klclutch.com/blog/index.php/anatomy-and-terminology-of-the-boom-crane/

Thanks for any ideas!!

4 replies
GarciaGM Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 10:44pm
post #2 of 5

Nobody? Come on, I've seen some of you guys' work and it's awesome!! Help a girl out here! icon_wink.gif

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 11:28pm
post #3 of 5

I have a crane cake. Photo on my gallery page three second row last photo.
I use RKT to make the boom with a dowel rod to hold it out.
Hope it helps

lschmitz05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lschmitz05 Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 11:36pm
post #4 of 5

Possibly make the bottom out of RKT and then the tower part out of wire. Good luck!

GarciaGM Posted 6 Oct 2011 , 11:46pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the help guys!! I had done a gallery search for "crane" tripleD but I hadn't seen your picture - nice work!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%