Pricing 3D Cakes

Decorating By badcheesemom Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm by Kiddiekakes

badcheesemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
badcheesemom Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 3

Hi all! I am wondering if anyone could inform me how you go about pricing 3D cakes. I seem to be getting orders lately and they want anywhere between 5 to 10 servings.. but i cant make a teeny cake. I am about to set a $50 minimum, and work from there. I feel with some designs they may need 1 serving.. yet a hefty design. Oh, i am confused. Help! And thanks for options in advance icon_smile.gif
P.S. i believe i am one of the only ones in my area who do them, since we live with cows and chickens for 45 minutes either way. 3D seems to be the rage lately.

2 replies
TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 9:14pm
post #2 of 3

You don't price a cake, any cake, based off of the number of servings they need, rather the number of servings they will get from the cake.

Yeah they may only want a cake for 10 people, but sorry, most 3d cakes have to be made bigger to be able to accomplish the design. So I would let them know, if you want this design the smallest cake I can make you serves this many, and is xyz dollars.

Honestly I can't see any craved cake I would make for $50. The smallest single cake I'll bake (8in round) would be $72 in butter cream. That doesn't even count for the extra labor of craving and such.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 10:17pm
post #3 of 3

I charge $5.00 a serving for 3D Cakes with a minimum of $100.00.That being said most of my designs are $150.00 and up..And your are right..You can't make a 3D cakes for 10 people...if they want an elaborate design you are paying for the time,etc it takes to carve a 3D cake not necessarily the serving amount...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%