Help..

Decorating By cathyrose Updated 4 Oct 2011 , 6:01pm by ReneeFLL

cathyrose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cathyrose Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 2:52am
post #1 of 9

i am going to be making a rv cake with cream cheese filling for appox 75 to 100 people... not a wedding cake.. the bday girl wants it decorated in fondant.. how do i store this as i can not put the fondant cake in the fridge?

8 replies
GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:07am
post #2 of 9

Good question. *not hijacking, btw* I used cream cheese icing under my mmf tonight on a cake with rasperry filling. The flavors were really good together but the cream cheese is not going to be an option as an icing and we wanted to use it either on a seperate layer in our wedding cake OR mix it with the raspberry filling...

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:12am
post #3 of 9

I've been working with fondant for years and always put it in the fridge. It glistens when it hits the warmer room air but after a while it goes back to a mat finish.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:16am
post #4 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeniseNH

I've been working with fondant for years and always put it in the fridge. It glistens when it hits the warmer room air but after a while it goes back to a mat finish.

Same here... icon_smile.gif

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 3:57am
post #5 of 9

If you are worried about having to refrigerate the cake because of the cream cheese filling, I have read here on CC that the powdered sugar in the filling actually stabilizes the cream cheese so it needs no refrigeration. You can probably do a search on that subject to be sure.

UrsCor82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UrsCor82 Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:32am
post #6 of 9

What I am understanding from your question is that you want to use cream cheese frosting (which needs to be refrigerated) but the cake is too large so you can not store it in your fridge, right?

If that is the case I would not use cream cheese frosting if you do not have the refrigerated storage space for it.

Although some do make a point by saying that the fondant will preserve the frosting. My suggestion would be to make sure that you cover the cake in fondant as close to the time of delivery.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

GracieJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GracieJean Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 9

I made a cream cheese frosting without using any powdered sugar. Just a package of cream cheese, 2 tablespoons light brown sugar, 2 tablespoons honey, and 2 table or teaspoons vanilla. It was really good with the mmf since that's so sweet. BUT my issue with it was I didn't refrigerate it and it started breaking down and wouldn't have lasted very long it seems.

I think she might be just worried about putting fondant in the fridge as I know at least I have read many conflicting comments about doing so.

jamieq Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamieq Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 5:09pm
post #8 of 9

I put my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time. Whether or not you are supposed to... don't care. They turn out great, and taste fantastic.

ReneeFLL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ReneeFLL Posted 4 Oct 2011 , 6:01pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieq

I put my fondant cakes in the fridge all the time. Whether or not you are supposed to... don't care. They turn out great, and taste fantastic.

Same here.
Not sure why some people say you shouldn't put fondant cakes in the frig. Maybe they have a frig that is super humid inside or the door is constantly being opened and closed causing alot of humidity which may puddle on the fondant. This is a guess on my part. On decent operating refrigerators the amount of humidity will cause some shininess and stickeyness. After taking the cake out it will dry back to its matt finish.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%