High Alltiude Cake

Baking By cakefanatic Updated 5 Oct 2011 , 5:34pm by cakefanatic

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 7:02pm
post #1 of 3

Does anyone have any high altitude cake mixes that can share? I live in Co. at almost 6,000 ft high. Thanks... icon_biggrin.gif

2 replies
Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 1 Oct 2011 , 1:58am
post #2 of 3

I'm at about 6300 ft. I don't use any recipes that are specifically high altitude. I adjust traditional recipes for the altitude. Much of what I've learned about high altitude baking is from the book Chocolate Snowball by Lettie Halloran Flatt who is the executive pastry chef at Deer Valley Resort in Utah (7200 ft). It's not a high altitude cookbook per se but she does include a chapter on baking at "celestial heights" icon_smile.gif.

If you're baking from scratch, at the most basic level, you need to:
decrease sugar by 2 tbs per cup
increase liquid by 2 tbs per cup
decrease leavening by 1/4 tsp per tsp

It also helps to separate your eggs; beat the whites to stiff peaks; fold them into the batter at the end.

I've also found that some recipes simply don't work at high altitude no matter what you do.

I also bake at a slightly lower temp (325) for a slightly shorter time. If a recipe says 35-40 minutes, I start checking at 25 minutes. FYI, I know some people disagree with this advice but it works for me so I keep on suggesting it to people who are having trouble with high altitude baking.

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 5 Oct 2011 , 5:34pm
post #3 of 3

Well, thanks a lot Elcee awesome info. on how to bake at high alltitude.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%