Nc Home Based Cake Business

Business By danette62602 Updated 22 Nov 2005 , 2:34am by ncdessertdiva

danette62602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danette62602 Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 3:54pm
post #1 of 14

I am working on getting my business license in NC. Here you have to contact the Dept. of Agriculture to come out and inspect your kitchen. Does anyone know what key things they would look for? Thanks!!!!

13 replies
candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 4:08pm
post #2 of 14

I would be interested in knowing as well. I am in NC close to the border of SC, near Myrtle Beach. Where are you? Helen

thecakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeboutique Posted 10 Sep 2005 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 14

I am in NC and started to have my home inspected but then decided that I am just going to open up a shop but not because it was too hard to get licensed. When I called they said

A thermonmeter in the frig
Cake supplies stored in a seperate location than what your regular kitchen items are. He suggested a rolling cart or certain area of your kitchen.
Every item that leaves your house must have a sticker on the box showing ingredients , weight and name of business.
Soap and hand towel in the bathroom.
They will come and watch you make a cake and decorate it. He said your welcome to do like they do on TV and have it ready as you go to each stage of the cake.

I cant think of anything else he said. It was very simple. Then he said since I was home based I would probably never see him again unless there was a complaint!
I hope this helps some!

Marci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marci Posted 15 Sep 2005 , 2:55pm
post #4 of 14

Also, you can't have any indoor pets.

Don't forget to cover your hair while decorating in front of the inspector - ie hairnet or a hat.

culinarilyobsessed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
culinarilyobsessed Posted 2 Oct 2005 , 5:09am
post #5 of 14

wOw I'm in NC also & have been wondering about getting licensed. I had no idea where to begin collecting information to find out if I could even possibly get licensed to work out of my home.

This info is very helpful thank you!! I could do it with everything, except unfortunately I have indoor pets. So sadly I guess that let's me out because I can't get rid of my beloved animal babies icon_cry.gif

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 1:45am
post #6 of 14

On starting a cake business in NC, did you get your information from the Dept of Agriculture website? If so, where on the website? I haven't been able locate it.

thecakeboutique Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakeboutique Posted 4 Oct 2005 , 8:23pm
post #7 of 14

I actually called the Dept. of Agriculture to get my answers.

MontiBellesBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MontiBellesBakery Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:20pm
post #8 of 14

I am in Charlotte and just went through the Dept. of Ag inspection and it wasn't that bad. Each area has a different inspector so you need to talk to the inspector that handles your area. My inspector was very helpful.

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:31pm
post #9 of 14

There is a NC Dept of Agriculture website. I dont know the address but if you Type that into a search engine, it should bring it up. It did for me. I want to get licensed also(eventually) so I went on there to see what I needed to do. NC is not as as bad( so im told) as some other states. Baking and cake decorating are considered low risk( I guess as in potential food poisoning?) so from what I read on the website they're not real picky. I think it might also vary from county to county. I live in Avery county, up in the mountains, and I ask one of the local health inpectors(he's my Sunday school teacher) and he said the health dept didnt have anything to so with it, to call the DOA. He said basically you just have to keep your kitchen clean....and no pets. I dont have any anyway, so that's not a problem for me. I will look and see if I can find the website and if I can I will post it. icon_smile.gif

kraftychristy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kraftychristy Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 2:34pm
post #10 of 14

Here is the link: www.agr.state.nc.us./ Hope this helps! icon_smile.gif

ncdessertdiva Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 5:57pm
post #11 of 14

Oaky. . . I've checked the website several times. Where is the information for home inspections located? Thanx foryour help!
Leslie

tobinx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobinx Posted 19 Nov 2005 , 10:01pm
post #12 of 14

Do any of you know by any chance what the procedures are in south carolina ? I'm in Myrtle Beach. Thanks!

Teresa

happypage Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happypage Posted 21 Nov 2005 , 8:57pm
post #13 of 14
ncdessertdiva Posted 22 Nov 2005 , 2:34am
post #14 of 14

Thank you so much happypage! It is now bookmarked so I won't lose the site again.
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%