Newbie With Fondant And Buttercream Questions....

Decorating By mandhmom Updated 30 Sep 2011 , 4:32am by mandhmom

mandhmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandhmom Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:05am
post #1 of 6

I am going to attempt to make some "Angry Bird" cupcakes for a birthday party. I am going to make my birds out marshmallow fonant that I am making. They will be rolled into ball shapes and the the other features (eyes, beaks, feathers...) attatched.

If I make them a few days in advance will they still be endible or will they have gotten too hard? Also what and where should I store them until I am ready to put them on the cupcakes?

I will be icing the cupcakes with butter cream. Does anyone have a really good tasting buttercream? The last recipe I used wasn't so tastey... icon_sad.gif

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

5 replies
SweetDelites Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetDelites Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 9:44am
post #2 of 6

Hi, If you let them set out in the air, the will dry hard. I would make them and them place in an covered container. As for buttercream I use the recipe from "Design me a cake.com. It's really good.

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 12:16pm
post #3 of 6

If you dont use gumpaste then they'll still be fine (they'll be hard to the touch but will be edible). Although I only have experience with MMF icon_smile.gif

bevwinniski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevwinniski Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

For Buttercream I use 4c icing sugar, 1c soft butter, 1tsp vanilla (or whatever flavor your going for), 3tbsp milk. I just throw it all in my Kitchen-Aid mixer and whip it till it's lite and fluffy. Not to sweet and tastes great.

bevwinniski Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bevwinniski Posted 29 Sep 2011 , 1:02pm
post #5 of 6

For Buttercream I use 4c icing sugar, 1c soft butter, 1tsp vanilla (or whatever flavor your going for), 3tbsp milk. I just throw it all in my Kitchen-Aid mixer and whip it till it's lite and fluffy. Not to sweet and tastes great.

mandhmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandhmom Posted 30 Sep 2011 , 4:32am
post #6 of 6

Thanks for the quick responses. Can I let the butter cream sit out once I decorate the cupcakes? Or do I need to put them in the fridge?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%