Using Rice Krispie Treat To Make A Tower

Decorating By elaine0034 Updated 12 Oct 2011 , 8:26pm by Marianna46

elaine0034 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elaine0034 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 12:39pm
post #1 of 6

i am making a tangled cake this weekend and have just been trying to figure out what will be the best way to make the tower. I am doing a green sponge and was thinking about making the tower out of sponge baked in food cans (I have done this for a castle cake) but as I want the tower to look as close the real thing as possible - with the larger top part - I don't think this will work. I have came across one that says they used rice krispie treat for the whole tower. I think this would be the best option but I have never done this before. Could someone give me the recipe for this? Would also like any other tips on doing this as I don't have a clue! The tower will be covered in fondant so do I just cover with buttercream first as I would with the sponge?? Thanks!

5 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:32pm
post #2 of 6

There's a recipe for Rice Krispie Treats (RKTs) on the cereal box or you can get it online (just google Rice Krispies). You can also buy the RKT bars ready-made, and I've heard they're a little easier to work with. Make the tower around a center dowel that will be long enough to stick down into your cake and a little way into its base, if possible, for extra stability. Press the RKTs onto the dowel very firmly to make sure they don't fall off or get loose. Then cover them with whatever you're going to cover your cake with (buttercream or ganache) and cover it with fondant. I saw a really cute one of these made this way by a friend of mine. If I can find a link, I'll send it to you in another post.

Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 3:41pm
post #3 of 6

Ah, yes, I found it. I know this person is a member of CC (that's how we met), but I don't know her screen name here and she's out of town right now, so I can't ask her. This link is to her website:
http://www.arteenpastel.com/photo_910851_Enredados.html

1cakeup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1cakeup Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:04pm
post #4 of 6

Heres mine made with RC treat

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 6:54pm
post #5 of 6

Someone mentioned an absolutely genius method the other day. Push the RKT through a pvc pipe for a perfectly round tower. Also, if you want the tower made from cake, search for Sugarbloom tall cupcake tutorial. See if that will help you.

Marianna46 Posted 12 Oct 2011 , 8:26pm
post #6 of 6

1cakeup, your photo or link didn't appear. Please try again - I'm dying to see what you came up with!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%