Fondant

Decorating By bakingmywaytowealth Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 7:34pm by bakingmywaytowealth

bakingmywaytowealth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingmywaytowealth Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 6:36pm
post #1 of 5

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the boards and an aspiring baker!

Question: What's the best fondant to use? Normally I make my own but I'm thinking of trying satin ice. Is this a better fondant than the others out there?

Also, how much fondant do I need for a 2 tiered cake? Is 2lbs enough?

Each tier will have three - 8in round cakes staked. I hope that makes sense icon_smile.gif

Thanks in advance for your direction!

4 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 11:29pm
post #2 of 5

Every decorator has his/her own favorite fondant. I like FondX for general use and Satin Ice red, black and chocolate brown (colors that are hard to achieve if you have to color the fondant yourself). I'm also in love with Massa Ticino Tropico, a fondant that's especially formulated for hot, humid climates like the one where I live, but it's very expensive so I don't use it all that often. I will admit, though, that I'm limited by the choices available to me. I can't get other brands, like Pettinice and Fondarific, so I couldn't tell you about those. I think you'll need more than 2 lbs. of fondant. My fondant chart says you need 24 oz. of fondant for an 8" round that's 4" high. Yours will be closer to 6" high and there will be two of them, so you'd probably need maybe 60 oz. of fondant, or a little more. Are the two tiers going to be the same size? Do you need to completely cover each tier?

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 26 Sep 2011 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianna46

Are the two tiers going to be the same size? Do you need to completely cover each tier?

Thanks for replying!

No the top tier will be slightly smaller.

Yes I need to completely cover both tiers.

I think I may just purchase the fondant already colored because I need royal blue, yellow and green. Yellow doesnt seem so challenging to color but Im not so sure about the royal blue and green.

Thanks again! And any other direction you have on the fondant, coloring fondant, please feel welcomed to share icon_smile.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 27 Sep 2011 , 2:34am
post #4 of 5

Blue and green aren't very hard colors to achieve in home-made fondant. It's red, black and dark brown that are the problem, and I always buy those ready-colored. The Satin Ice red and black, which are what I use, are so saturated with color that I can make a 50-50 mix with white gumpaste for figures and the stuff is still really red/black. To be honest, to me the back-breaker is making the fondant, so I usually have a big stock of white store-bought fondant on hand, which I color to my heart's content. From your cake description, I'd say you'll need 3 1/2 to 4 pounds of fondant to cover your cake. It's pretty heavy stuff. You'll have some left over, because you have to roll the piece out larger than the cake to get it to fall right. I just roll that excess up into a ball, wrap it airtight and use it for the next cake of the same color or mix it in to another color that it goes well with.

bakingmywaytowealth Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 5

THANK YOU for the direction.

I ordered 5 lbs of the Satin Ice - it arrived today!

Looking forward to using it!

Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%