Placing A Dummy Cake In Another's Shop

Business By trixie05 Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm by trixie05

trixie05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trixie05 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 8

How do you go about placing a dummy cake in another person's shop? I am a licensed at home baker. Do you give a referral fee or another arrangement? Also what type of shop would work best? Thanks all, as there are so many wise people out there & I am sure some may have run up against this problem.

7 replies
LKing12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LKing12 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:23pm
post #2 of 8

I placed a cake in a rental shop, on their silver cake plateau and a florist asked me to do one for their shop. Had one phone call but received no business from this act.
Not quite worth the effort.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 9:50pm
post #3 of 8

As for results - every place is differfent. I would do it. You never know when/where it will bring business. I never gave any fees.....just refered my clients to who ever I was working with.
I have worked with florists, photographers and a rental co.

thumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thumbs Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:32pm
post #4 of 8

I just had a florist e-mail me this week asking I display a wedding cake in the shop as well.

My problem is I had a design in mind, however when I questioned her more about a few things she has said she wants the 4 colours of her shop on the cake. This has me concerned now as these are not colours that will appeal to most brides and I would like to do a cake design that I feel would bring in business not one that matches her shop.

So just be sure you understand the arrangement before hand because I apparently didn't!!

trixie05 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks for all your suggestions. Never thought about a florist. Now to get to work on contacts.

trixie05 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 10:46pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks for all your suggestions. Never thought about a florist. Now to get to work on contacts.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Sep 2011 , 2:56pm
post #7 of 8

I have a few display cakes in party rentals stores. They see a lot of brides so they can give out your business cards for you, too. They use the cakes as part of hteir display setups so tht people can see how they'd do the cake tables, etc. Because of that, I usually keep the colors pretty neutral when I do one for them. That way they can be used in more than one display setting.

trixie05 Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 8

Another one I thought of myself is a candy shop! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%