How To Replicate This Cake!

Decorating By BGchef Updated 22 Sep 2011 , 12:37pm by poohsmomma

BGchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BGchef Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 5:37am
post #1 of 6

Hi all,
I am in lovve with this beautiful cake I found on the Internet and would really like to make it for a good friend's upcoming wedding. The link is below. If anyone can offer any tips on how to replicate this cake, I would reallyyy appreciate it. I am going to be using the Wilton pillow pan set, so I have that part under control.. What I would like to know is how to get all the detail. From what I can figure out, it seems like the gold detail is done with a combination of fondant cut-outs and royal icing, then painted gold. Yes? No?

I have never painted with gold so any tips on that would help as well. Is it possible to paint royal icing after it hardens? Also, I don't want to use alcohol for religious reasons, so has anyone ever tried using airbrush colors to paint? If so, do you dilute it? With what and how much?

Thanks a bunch to anyone who can help me out!

Here is the cake: http://www.theswellelife.com/.a/6a00e54ef1680988330148c7177053970c-pi

5 replies
pastrygirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrygirls Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:20am
post #2 of 6

instead of using alcohol try using lemon extract (i know it has alcohol, but can u use it still?) as for painting on royal icing, yes you can paint on it when it hardens. i've never tried to paint with airbrush color, but if you want gold, then u have to mix it with something that will evaporate. if you cant use lemon extract (or orange or almond), then i'm not really sure what else to use.

Wnt2BACakeStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wnt2BACakeStar Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:41am
post #3 of 6

Wow that is a super nice cake! I just did a pillow cake like that recently (it's in my pics) it was a lot of fun! What I did for my gold, I just used Americolor airbrush Gold and painted it onto the royal after it had hardened. I think the color gold it came out was awesome! I did use yellow as a base then did two coats of the gold over it. No need to dilute it or anything else just use as is. HTH!

CakesByRashmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByRashmi Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 6:58am
post #4 of 6

I did the same. Started with a yello base and used Americolor gold and painted it all over. While it was a bit wet I brushed over some gold shimmer with a dry brush. The result was an amazing sparkly alladin and jasmine palace.

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 11:09am
post #5 of 6

Wow! That's a beautiful cake!! Maybe these instructions can help? They also use pearl dust with vanilla extract to paint on the fondant details: http://www.wilton.com/idea/Plush-Patterns-Cake

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 12:37pm
post #6 of 6

Make sure you use a high quality gold dust for the paint. My first attempt at paintng was a disaster;I used Wilton dust, and that was just not good enough. Global Sugar Art sells a dust that makes a really good paint.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%