3D Elmo Cake Help Please

Decorating By littleninja Updated 25 Sep 2011 , 1:54am by littleninja

littleninja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littleninja Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 11:32am
post #1 of 11

hi everyone,
I am making a 3d sitting elmo cake for my nieces first birthday next month. I was planning on making his head out of cake using a ball pan and was wondering if I cut a wedge out for his mouth, would I need to support it as in cut ball pan in half and use cake board between so the mouth doesn't close on me? Any advice would be appreciated as it would kill me to see the look on her face if his head fell off or mouth closed driving there (2hr drive)!
I will dowel the head into the body which will be an eight inch round and dolly varden tin. Also any idea how many kids this size would feed?
Thanks!

10 replies
sweeteats0919 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteats0919 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 12:01pm
post #2 of 11

I made a 3D elmo cake. I made the body out of cake and the head and limbs out of rice crispies. (It is in my photos) Is there any reason why you eed to make the head out of cake? Rice crispies are sold and you don't have to worry about them falling over. If you want to make the head out of cake you should be alright as lonf as you don't make the mouth opening to wide. hth

littleninja Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 9:28pm
post #3 of 11

I have never used rkt before, so was a bit scared of that too so thought cake might of been better icon_razz.gif Thank you for your advice, I might have to give rkt a go!

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 10:42pm
post #4 of 11

Im going to agree with the previous poster on this one. I attempted a 3-D Elmo on my THIRD cake ever. Now I did use cake on the head and the mouth did just fine when I cut it out HOWEVER I was about to throw that darn cake out the window because the head kept wanting to fall off.

It did just fine and you can see it in my photos, however knowing what I do now...I would of used RKT and covered them in candy chocolate so they stayed together.

Best of luck...post pics!

littleninja Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 3:52am
post #5 of 11

wow your cake looks great!, did you put a piece of board to support the open mouth or just cut a smaller mouth? I think I will try cake as I have baked the ball cake already, but will have some rice crispies on hand just incase.
Thanks for your help!

lilcakebaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilcakebaker Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:18am
post #6 of 11

aww thanks icon_smile.gif I just put a piece of fondant inside the mouth, nothing more. I guess I cut it smaller but I honestly can't remember.

cmehend Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmehend Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 4:24am
post #7 of 11

I made an Elmo cake out of the Wilton 3d bear pan. I only needed to do a little carving around the arms and carved off the ears. I added fondant eyes and nose and mouth. It is under my pictures. I found this easier than trying to make parts out of RKT.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 7:49am
post #8 of 11

I made a 3 D Cookie Monster cake. It's in my photos. I took a thick cake board and calculated where the center of the cake would be and poked a hole through the bottom of the board and attached a long wooden dowel using a washer and screw on the under side of the board. You will have to drill a little hole in the dowel to make it easier to start the screw. I used round round cakes and on wonder mold cake for the upper body. Carved everything to desired shape and used RTK for the arms and legs. The cake had to travel so I used a styrofoam ball for the head. I sharpened the top of the dowel to attach the styrofoam ball, cut out the mouth and covered with butter cream (grass tip).

littleninja Posted 22 Sep 2011 , 8:57am
post #9 of 11

wow he looks awesome! Did you use the small grass tip or the big grass tip? I have both, just thinking it might take ages with the small one, but the big one might be too big?
I thought about using a styro ball, but I hate cutting them! they make such a mess!

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 23 Sep 2011 , 7:08am
post #10 of 11

I used tip 233. It does take forever to cover the entire cake so prepare to give yourself a little extra time. It wasn't to bad cutting the styrofoam. I only had to cut out a mouth which I covered with fondant. I didn't want to worry about the head falling apart during transit if I tried to use RTK or cake.

littleninja Posted 25 Sep 2011 , 1:54am
post #11 of 11

thank you sweetreat101, i'll use the tip you used.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%