Cupcakes Not Rounded On Top

Baking By CupcakeQT82 Updated 20 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm by rlowry03

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 6

So, I tried this vanilla bean recipe: http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Baby-Vanilla-Bean-Cake

It tastes amazing except that when I make them into cupcakes the top do not round up at all but instead will start to spill over the sides of the wrapper and onto the cake pan. They cooked and are fine in the center but I am wondering if when translating this recipe into a cupcake from a cake, I should have either decreased the number of eggs or the amount of buttermilk. Are there any other problems anyone can see???? TIA!

5 replies
rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:07am
post #2 of 6

I don't have the answer, but I find that this has happened with almost every cake recipe I have tried to turn into cupcakes. I've seen a few recommendations. One was to use less leavening. Another was to do a test run and figure out exactly how much batter to put in each cupcake so it doesn't spill over. Then I've read to get a dome you can turn the oven up to 400 for the first few minutes and then drop back down to 350 for the rest of the cooking time. I haven't had any luck with anything except figuring out how much batter to put in each cup so it doesn't run over. I still just end up with flat cupcakes though.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:26am
post #3 of 6

Not to be controversial at all but as an honest inquiry...I seem to be missing the point as to why a domed cupcake is highly sought after. A lot of my cupcake recipes do not dome but if I want a domed look I just pipe on more icing. Could anyone enlighten me? Maybe I am not getting some advantage I am unaware of.

As for the running over, I too have that problem if I do not carefully adhere to how much batter to put in the cups. This seems to most be the problem with recipes that have buttermilk in them. Anyone else notice this?

cakestars Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestars Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #4 of 6

have you tried pre heating your oven to 400, putting the cupcakes in and lowering it to 350 once they are in? that's what works for me icon_smile.gif

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6

Your cake batter is a bit too liquid for cupcakes. Either decrease the liquid a little, or add more flour. cakestars suggestion is also good. Start baking at a higher temp to set the top then drop the temp to thoroughly bake the cupcake.

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 20 Sep 2011 , 4:25pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by heartsnsync

Not to be controversial at all but as an honest inquiry...I seem to be missing the point as to why a domed cupcake is highly sought after.

I like my cupcake to be a little bit domed because I find it easier to decorate and package cleanly. I find that if I use a recipe that doesn't dome, I have to find the exact amount to fill the cup so that it covers the very edge of the paper but doesn't run over. If it runs over it flattens out and makes a mess. With a recipe that domes I don't have that problem. Then I can put frosting on without getting so close to the edge of the paper as well which is not as messy when it's time to package or eat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%