Whatcha workin' on?

30 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:32am
post #2 of 31

Busy weekend here.

One 2 tier party cake, picked up.
one, anniversary cake, picked up.
Three wedding cakes for tomorrow, 1 for pickup, 2 for delivery.
One wedding cake for Sunday for delivery plus two anniversary cakes for pickup.

Oh and one candy buffet.

Doing well. Have two more tiers to finish on the last cake.

suzylynn58 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzylynn58 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #3 of 31

Wow!! You are a busy girl! I don't have anything this weekend. Leaving for Vegas in the morning. Will be back next Thursday night, just in time to do a wedding cake for next Saturday.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:39am
post #4 of 31

Baked 2 cakes, made my cookie dough and worked on my Sesame Street cake toppers.

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #5 of 31

This is my LAST busy weekend. I am ready for this wedding stuff to be over.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #6 of 31

My gosh, Leah, I'm tired just reading what you're doing!! I can't even imagine how you do what you do!!! What is your secret??? You have surely secured your place in cake heaven!! I imagine a comfy footstool for you and angels catering to your every whim! You deserve it!!

I'm ashamed to admit I'm having a tough time today cranking out 2 very easy cakes - a Captain America shield and an American Flag. My fibromyalgia is flaring and I flat out have no energy. I should be smacked silly for being so lazy when I see the feat you pulled off!

vgray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgray Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:48am
post #7 of 31

I did a slumber party cake for my niece, finished early so now I'm working on school work blah (lol have to take a cc break every now and again)... BUT in two weeks I will have my Master's and be done with school icon_biggrin.gif

Kristinclk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kristinclk Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:50am
post #8 of 31

Two tiered wedding cake delivered.
Three tier birthday cake delivered.
2 tier cake done for delivery tomorrow as well as a three tiered wedding cake.
Tired but also have a purse cake class to teach on sunday.

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:51am
post #9 of 31

time management + being able to function on little sleep.

And of course we have guests in our B&B all week.

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #10 of 31

Hi everyone!

Easy week this week, just one 2 tier anniversary cake. We are actually working the party so I just got back from the venue. I was able to get in tonight and get most of the decorating done. Just need to place the cake tomorrow and do set up on the drink table. My daughter, who is the owner of the biz, has the rest of the decor for the drink table as well as the personalized water bottles so I couldn't get totally done but about 80%. Good enough that I earned sleeping in tomorrow morning! Whoo Hoo! Cake is done and ready for delivery and the party isn't till 5 tomorrow so I have time. Good thing since we have 2 baseball games this weekend for the 10 yr old. I, too, have a weekend off next week. Not sure what I will do with myself! LOL! I haven't had time off in awhile so this will be nice.

Cat

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:11am
post #11 of 31

So I'm assuming everyone saw my announcement on the Cake Business Forum. Is anyone willing to take over the FNCC?

catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:13am
post #12 of 31

Leah, didn't see the post but will go look for it. I'll take it over for you if you'd like. I take it that I just come on each Friday night at 7:30 PST and post? Let me know!

Cat

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:14am
post #13 of 31

here's the dummy on the internet needing to fill, frost, and decorate a 4 TIER cake for TOMORROW! yea, i am totally behind. some of you may remember my post about the Serbian wedding...well, i've been working my tail off all night to get all my tiers baked and i'm finally done with that. i'm just glad this one doesn't have any fillings :p icon_lol.gif

catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:16am
post #14 of 31

Leah!! A food truck! HOW COOL! I've seriously thought about that. Unfortunately I live in a city where you can only park for 30 mins at a time. If they ever lift that ban I might seriously consider a coffee/dessert truck myself. Seriously wishing you the very very best on your new endevours!

Cat

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:20am
post #15 of 31

Thanks, cat! You've got the format for FNCC! Just welcome everyone and trouble shoot problems as they come up.

So far the Dessert Truck is going well. I've got 2 gigs for next week and a third
one in the works.

Our city doesn't know what to do with the food trucks we have. I'm riding on my catering license, so I need to be invited onto someone's property. Then I sit and "cater." there are 8 or so trucks and 2 of us are riding on our catering licenses.

auntbeesbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntbeesbaking Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:31am
post #16 of 31

Leah, I just read your post about your dessert truck. I wish you much success and fun. THANK YOU for all the help, tips, comments and advise you've given us; it's been invaluable! I can only hope that somehow we can pay it forward in some small way.

You certainly are ending your wedding business with a bang for all that you did this weekend! Kudos to you! It'll be sad not to have you hear on FNCC but we'll always keep you in our hearts here on Friday nights!

thumbs_up.gif

leah_s Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:41am
post #17 of 31

I'm not quitting CC or cakes entirely. Just taking a different direction. I'm be around here .

catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:00am
post #18 of 31

So when would you like me to take over? Happy to start next week if you need me to!

As for the trucks, only the full time catering coaches can go from biz to biz and yup, for only 30 mins. They are trying to make new laws to encourage business but so far not so good. SIGH.

Let us know how it's going!

Cat

cheatize Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheatize Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:09am
post #19 of 31

It's a home game tomorrow so we're feeding the band. 210 mini-cupcakes, 95 mini-cheesecakes, brownies, and RKT bear made from the Wilton pan. My whiskers are drooping on the bear, thanks to using piping gel to attach them. I've removed them and will reattach them with chocolate once the piping gel dries a bit.

I'm trying to come up with a design for a 50th wedding anniversary that incorporates a car hop and a one-tier white cake with roses. Any suggestions?

eringm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eringm Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:35am
post #20 of 31

Finished and delivered a construction worker cake with fondant/gumpaste tools. This was a fun cake to make.

MaurorLess67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaurorLess67 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:49am
post #21 of 31

Hi Everyone- icon_smile.gif

Leah- best of luck in your new venture-

You were very very busy this weekend- wow - I don't think I will ever be able to manage my time like that!!

I just finished my 5th cake ever!!! Yeah a newbie icon_lol.gif But I have to tell you- it really came out great!!! I think I have a knack for this!!! and believe me- I am very hard on myself usually! I will post my pics once I figure out how-- icon_redface.gif

My friend had a boob reduction- ( a D cup was taken off each one- and she is still left with a full C cup!!!!- Can you imagine!!!ha) So I made a figure of her, with her long blonde hair- with a bow, laying in bed reading her kindle- w/ am Ipad and travel magazines surrounding her- a bouqet of flowers on the end of the bed- a get well car- pillows and her packed suitcase next to the bed-- If I do say so myself-- its freaking cute as all get-out!!!

Her boyfriend just picked it up on his way home from work- she LOVED it-!!! I'm still smiling, I really love this feeling of happiness afetr you make a special cake and give it to that person- it makes it all worth it

Hmmmm- what can be my next cake???

Mo

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:57am
post #22 of 31

Doing quilled gum paste flowers for a birthday cake next Sunday. It's kind of fun messing around with the designs you can do. I have a booklet on making quilled flowers out of paper and now I'm trying to adapt it to gum paste. Some more successful than others. Oh well!

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:05am
post #23 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by carmijok

Doing quilled gum paste flowers for a birthday cake next Sunday. It's kind of fun messing around with the designs you can do. I have a booklet on making quilled flowers out of paper and now I'm trying to adapt it to gum paste. Some more successful than others. Oh well!

oOOOO! i have always wanted to try this! good luck to you! icon_biggrin.gif

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:25am
post #24 of 31

It's 7.23am here in London and I didn't get to bed. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

The order for delivery later this morning is 30 decorated cookies, 18 pirate cupcakes and a treasure chest cake.

I am a SLOW, SLOW worker. Then tiredness kicks in and I go even slower... hence I didn't get to bed.

It's my wedding anniversary today and hubby and I are going for a rare meal out with the boys... and it's at a really posh place, too. I hope I don't fall asleep, face first, in the soup!

Thursday was spent working on another order which is being collected this morning.

DSmo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DSmo Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:37am
post #25 of 31

Just finished putting all the "stuff" together for a little cupcake decorating class I'm doing tomorrow. Who woulda thought it would take soooo much time to plan/organize/prep for a 45 minute class!?!? 10 dozen cupcakes, 120 little cups of buttercream, 60 little cups of fondant (each with 4 small balls individually wrapped), 60 bags of tools... I'm beat! Wish me luck -- I'm not very comfortable speaking in front of people, so this should be interesting. I'll check back tomorrow afternoon and let you know how it went.

Goodnight all!!

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 6:52am
post #26 of 31

i feel like a doof! icon_lol.gif i don't have enough ribbon for my cake icon_cry.gif

also, i'm realizing this is a very fabric-y ribbon...is there some way to not get the grease to get through the ribbon...it's royal blue and i have a feeling it will show up :p

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 7:11am
post #27 of 31

AHHHHHHH! i am doing the 2AM Panic! icon_cry.gif

trying to plan for this cake and I think maybe someone in this thread can help
here is the cake I am aspiring after: http://tinypic.com/r/1045ibr/7

I can never figure out which cake is which...I know i have to assemble this on site, it's an hour away. Do i do the scrollwork first along with attaching the ribbon? or assemble the cake there and do all the scrollwork and ribbon there? HELP!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:10pm
post #28 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by step0nmi

i feel like a doof! icon_lol.gif i don't have enough ribbon for my cake icon_cry.gif

also, i'm realizing this is a very fabric-y ribbon...is there some way to not get the grease to get through the ribbon...it's royal blue and i have a feeling it will show up :p

You'll need to back it with either wax paper cut to size and attached with double sided tape...OR Press N Seal...or some people iron on the wax paper. I haven't tried that so I don't know how successful that is. Some people grease up the ribbon with Crisco so there's no worry about it spotting...but that will darken your ribbon. I always back mine when I do a ribbon on buttercream.

catlharper Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:51pm
post #29 of 31
Quote:

I can never figure out which cake is which...I know i have to assemble this on site, it's an hour away. Do i do the scrollwork first along with attaching the ribbon? or assemble the cake there and do all the scrollwork and ribbon there? HELP!

Before I got my cakesafe I would have decorated each tier and boxed them up to drive to a venue that far away. Get there as early as they will allow and take a repair kit. That means more royal in case any of the piping gets knocked off during stacking as well as more ribbon in case any of it gets damaged. It should go rather quickly on site but better to have the items you need to repair just in case. Good luck!

Cat

step0nmi Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 4:03pm
post #30 of 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by catlharper

Quote:

Before I got my cakesafe I would have decorated each tier and boxed them up to drive to a venue that far away. Get there as early as they will allow and take a repair kit. That means more royal in case any of the piping gets knocked off during stacking as well as more ribbon in case any of it gets damaged. It should go rather quickly on site but better to have the items you need to repair just in case. Good luck!

Cat

thanks...I don't think I want to put the ribbon on before i get there, but I will definitely measure to see where i need to start piping icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%