Brain Freezing!!! Cake Stacking

Decorating By 2txmedics Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 6:40pm by CWR41

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:32am
post #1 of 13

I work only in BC, Im doing a 3 tier cake, Ive done this recently in May...but Im freezing and cant think!!!!

I know I dowel my bottom tier...my 2nd cake that goes on that bottom cake,...do I leave it on a cake board? do I remove the cake board?? Ive only done a cake with the cake seperator plates between each cake...I'd like to not use the plastic plates this time and maybe use the card board one's to Dowel all the cake...Can I do it??? or can I just dowel and not use a board??? HELP!!!

Ive frozen mentally...so much going on....Saw Edna's tutorial and I can swear she took it off the board and there is nothing under that cake???? I would think they'd break in 1/2.

thanks!!!

12 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:35am
post #2 of 13

Each tier definitely needs to be on it's own board. Yes you can dowel and use boards together without using plates.

Good luck!

2txmedics Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:42am
post #3 of 13

Thanks so much!!! I have alot going on, 15mo old grand baby had a heart procedure, I have interviews and just alot...and I went blank on this cake...go figure!!!!

I hope it comes out decent!!!!

Thanks again!!!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:47am
post #4 of 13

Good luck 2texmedics? I think that was your name. It is really hard to keep our thinking on straight when we go through stressful times like you are. That is why most of us are on here-to help each other. I hope that youcan get a really good nights sleep soon so you can function better. It is no fun to be in your shoes.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:51am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

Thanks so much!!! I have alot going on, 15mo old grand baby had a heart procedure, I have interviews and just alot...and I went blank on this cake...go figure!!!!

I hope it comes out decent!!!!

Thanks again!!!

Oh my goodness, I hope your grandchild is doing well! I'll keep your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Good luck with the cake...I'm sure it will come together just fine for you!

Take care!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:59am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2txmedics

I would think they'd break in 1/2.

Without the tier being on its own board, the dowels would pierce into the tier above from the weight which would cause it to collapse.

Think of the dowels as table legs and the cake board as a table top... without the table top you cannot stack anything on it.

2txmedics Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 4:32am
post #7 of 13

Thanks so much my CC'er's I knew I could count on you all to keep my head "semi" straight" lol...its never on straight on its own, much less with all the things going on.

And yes, my grand baby is stable, she was born with a heart defect, had open heart at 1mo old, and other gastro surgeries, found new blockage in a new area, so we had to do that on the 7th, as I was getting ready to work on these cakes. She is cute as a button, weighs all of 17lbs at almost 16mos old.

I hope these cakes turn out...Im so tired tonight and I have an interview at 7am. So back to caking tomm. after noon...this cake is due Saturday by no later than 1pm

I APPRECIATE ALL THE INPUT, HELP, TIPS AND CONCERN FOR MY GRANDBABY, ISABELLA. THANK YOU!!

CWR41 Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:59pm
post #8 of 13

Curious... what kind of BC work are you doing 10 days in advance? Roses?

2txmedics Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 2:17pm
post #9 of 13

No, no roses or flowers....I made Sugar Shacks BC, and Im tinting it, NEON COLORS!...Girl wants Neon colors of:
Puirple
Orange
Green
Pink
Blue
and the prints on the 3 tier cake; Zebra, Cheetah, and Giraffe.
Its for her 15th bday.

2txmedics Posted 18 Sep 2011 , 6:56pm
post #10 of 13

Cakes were done yesterday and the party was yesterday. Thanks to all that helped me....

Thought I'd never finish them!!! as you can see from my pics in my album, I couldnt level them straight!!!! I was dying once I saw this.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:39pm
post #11 of 13

2txmedics: With all that is going on in that cake set up, I would be really shocked if they noticed that the cakes weren't level. Unless, in person it was a lot more obvious then the picture shows. For me, personally, it would be too busy, but I imagine that the girl loved it. Don't sweat the small stuff. Always remember do not point out the faults you see in your own cakes. Most people are not going to see them. I see lots of faults in my own cakes and everyone else is absolutely amazed and delighted. I have learned not to be so hard on myself. I know the mistakes are there, but I have learned not to point them out. You did great.

jeartist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jeartist Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:55pm
post #12 of 13

So glad you made it thru all of that! God is good!
My question is how do you put a dowel thru all three or more layers with cakes on cake boards? Do you cut holes in the cake boards first?

CWR41 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 6:40pm
post #13 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeartist

My question is how do you put a dowel thru all three or more layers with cakes on cake boards?

Just hammer a sharpened center dowel rod through all of the tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%