What Cakes Work Best?

Baking By Dgand85 Updated 15 Sep 2011 , 5:58pm by kakeladi

Dgand85 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dgand85 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 3:47pm
post #1 of 5

I am still feeling my way around the great world of fondant. I just learned that carrot cake isn't the best cake to use for stacking which leads me to ask....

Which cake mixes work and do not work for tiered cakes and fondant?

Thanks!

4 replies
bellaloco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellaloco Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 5

the two cakes I have had the most success with are both from Elisa Strauss' Confetti Cakes book. There is a chocolate one and a vanilla one that I have both had repeated success with, and really the only two cakes I use for carved projects.

I have found that anything with chunks (fruit, chocolate chips, nuts, etc) is pretty much impossible to carve.

VaBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VaBelle Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:41pm
post #3 of 5

I read someone's comment once to a similar question and that poster said that the cake doesn't matter. Your support system is supposed to support your tiers, not the cake. That being said, I use the WASC method and have not yet had a problem with stacking tiers.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:50pm
post #4 of 5

Why isn't carrot cake good for stacking? Cake doesn't support cake. Make sure you have the cake supported well and you can stack angel food cake or even Jell-O.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 5

I have had great success with Betty Crocker's cake mixes. Any and all flavors -including carrot. When I make that I use pineapple juice for the liquid and add extra fresh shredded carrots - about 1/2 cup. Then I use sleeved pineapple filling. I have had nothing but complimants on my carrot cake. Yes, I have done a few w/fondant and never had a problem w/them. As Annie said - you could stack a 'cake' of jello or whipped cream when a proper support system is used. It's not the jello or cake that supports the other tiers - it's the supports used *in* the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%