Billy's Bakery Vanilla Vs Magnolia Bakery Recipe?

Baking By rlowry03 Updated 17 Sep 2011 , 3:39am by tavyheather

rlowry03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 4:12pm
post #1 of 10

I'm still searching for the perfect yellow cupcake. I came across this post on the 52 cupcakes blog. http://52cupcakes.blogspot.com/2006/05/billys-vanilla-vanilla-cupcakes-with.html. Apparently the Billy's recipe was on Martha Stewart, but I've seen a number of articles listing the Magnolia recipe.

Has anyone tried either the Billy's or the Magnolia Recipe? What was your impression? I want to try one or the other today, but I'm getting tired of trying recipes that aren't good!

Billy's Vanilla, Vanilla Cupcakes
Makes about 30 cupcakes
1 3/4 cups cake flour, not self-rising
1 1/4 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch cubes
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Magnolia Bakery
1 1/2 C self rising flour
1 1/4 C all purpose flour
1 C butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 c milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

9 replies
Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 7:48pm
post #2 of 10

I've never tried Magnolia's, but I use Billy's all the time. However, it is not a true yellow cake. It is more of a white vanilla cake. I really like the taste and consistency and others I have made it for love it. One bit of advice: it makes a large batch of batter, but don't be tempted to overfill your cupcake liners. Don't fill them over half full or they will overtop while baking and be impossible to remove from your trays.

rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:24pm
post #3 of 10

Update: I tried Billy's today. I must have overfilled even though I went with 2/3 full like the recipe, because they did run over the tops of the liners, flatten out, and make a huge sticky mess! Getting them out was pretty much impossible because they had stuck to each other and the pan.

The recipe says bake at 325. The first batch took much longer to cook and were very flat. I did the second batch at 350, and the ones that weren't too full domed nicely. As for the taste, they were okay. They reminded me a lot of the no fail sugar cookies, except too "floury" tasting for cupcakes.

I made a different recipe yesterday (America's Test Kitchen Yellow Cake Mix which I attempted to turn into cupcakes) and had the same problems with overflowing, but the taste was excellent. This recipe had less flour, sugar and milk so I think I'll try to see if I can get the two to meet in the middle.

Did I mention I hate trying to find a go-to recipe! I just want it to work the first time... I'm not a very patient baker!

Kpow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kpow Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:28pm
post #4 of 10

Oops...guess I didn't get the warning to you early enough! Another thing about Billy's: to me they are much better the second day. They actually seem to get more moist as they age. And while I too am a pretty impatient baker, I've learned how to make the Billy's recipe work...I use it as a base for all kinds of cupcakes (strawberry, lemon, blueberry, etc.) as well as plain vanilla.

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:48pm
post #5 of 10

I've never baked Magnolia's recipe but I've been to their NYC shop and tasted one first hand.

To me they were dry, tasteless and nothing special, so I'll assume if that's the recipe they really use it would be similar.

rlowry03 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpow

Oops...guess I didn't get the warning to you early enough! Another thing about Billy's: to me they are much better the second day. They actually seem to get more moist as they age.

No worries! I'm just glad to know other people have the same spreading issue! I've got plenty of both cupcakes so I can at least compare them over the next few days. I'm trying to decide if it's worth making frosting and taking them to work just so I don't have 4 dozen cupcakes sitting at home. They're not pretty but I think the frosting will cover that.

cmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmom Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 10

I have eaten Billy's vanilla and made Billy's vanilla and either way it is a dry cupcake.Not one I would get again. Magnolia's vanilla , though nothing special, was at least more moist.
I can't remember if I have ever made Magnolia's vanilla but it certainly isn't my go to recipe. I love the Mermaid Bakery yellow cake recipe from here. Very moist and buttery.

Bean123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bean123 Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:48am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom

I have eaten Billy's vanilla and made Billy's vanilla and either way it is a dry cupcake.Not one I would get again. Magnolia's vanilla , though nothing special, was at least more moist.
I can't remember if I have ever made Magnolia's vanilla but it certainly isn't my go to recipe. I love the Mermaid Bakery yellow cake recipe from here. Very moist and buttery.

I tried to find the mermaid bakery yellow cake recipe on here, but can't seem to find it. Do you have it handy?
Thanks!!

Osgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Osgirl Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 1:59am
post #9 of 10

I have made Billy's several times and will never make them again. You have to be so careful about filling them, and they bake very flat. They are a huge PITA, and I end up throwing more away than I end up using.

Here is my favorite recipe so far:
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/2010/10/28/vanilla-cupcakes-vanilla-buttercream-frosting/

I've heard this one is really good too (and I love her blog) but I haven't tried the recipe:
http://glorioustreats.blogspot.com/2011/07/perfect-vanilla-cupcakes-recipe.html

tavyheather Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tavyheather Posted 17 Sep 2011 , 3:39am
post #10 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean123

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmom

I tried to find the mermaid bakery yellow cake recipe on here, but can't seem to find it. Do you have it handy?
Thanks!!

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/4313/vanilla-butter-cake-from-the-mermaid-bakery

I have made this at least 20 times and it's on the drier side, but weighing the ingredients and baking only until a few crumbs stick to the toothpick (vs. clean and bounces back when u press ur finger into it) has helped. the taste is wonderful and it's very versatile!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%