Have You Used Candy Clay/modeling Chocolate In Your Cricut?

Decorating By Chasey Updated 27 Oct 2011 , 5:14pm by Chasey

Chasey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chasey Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 3:20pm
post #1 of 9

Has anyone tried making candy clay with Wilton's candy melts and corn syrup and then using it in the cricut cake?

I would love to hear your tips on how thin, what pressure, etc. Was it hard to get it off of the mat without disorting or breaking? I'm not sure how long to let it sit out, if any, after kneading it and rolling it.

Can I place candy clay on a stabilized whipped cream recipe and have it in the freezer and then in the refrigerator?

Thanks in advance for answers to any of those questions!

8 replies
AKS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKS Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 5:36pm
post #2 of 9

I used candy clay once and they came out fine. You need to roll it very thin on a pasta roller and then crisco the mat and put the rolled choc on top. Put in the freezer for about five minutes, cut and then put back into the freezer for another 5 -10 min. Carefully remove. I'm not sure about the stabilized whipped cream, but I think they should be fine on it.

Chasey Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 12:34pm
post #3 of 9

I don't have a pasta roller, darn! I made some candy clay last night and created roses from it. I think I'll have to roll it a little thicker than the "thin" I was envisioning for the cricut. Otherwise, it would have torn when I lifted it up.

Thanks for the reply!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:16pm
post #4 of 9

I think candy clay works great with the Cricut. I just roll it out and cut. No shortening on the mat, no refrig./freezer. I do put it in the freezer for a few minutes so it comes off of the mat easily. I have used it on many cakes but only have one posted here. Check it out if you like.

Chasey Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 9

Erin, your cake is beautiful! The monkey looks so cleanly cut. Awesome! I was thinking I probably wouldn't need shortening since the clay felt sticky/tacky/oily enough to stick by itself. I'll try it that way first.

Thanks for sharing your success!

erin12345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin12345 Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you for the nice compliment! Good luck and have fun trying out the candy clay/modelling chocolate!

Chasey Posted 16 Sep 2011 , 1:14pm
post #7 of 9

FYI for anyone doing a future search on this topic:

It works!!! icon_smile.gif

After kneading in color to the white melts for 3 different balls of candy clay and rolling it out with the purple guide rings; I had success! I used about 12 ounces of Wilton candy melts (it was a 14 oz bag, but I ate a few. LOL!) and 1/3 cup light corn syrup. I heated it in a double boiler, but removed it from the heat with just a few lumps left. I stirred in the corn syrup and it became smooth. It rested on the counter on wax paper before going into the fridge overnight. I mentioned above that I made roses with it the same night, but the cricut use was after it sat on the counter for 24 hrs, wrapped in saran. Don't know if that makes a difference since I didn't try it any other way.

I sprayed my cricut mat with cooking spray and then used a napkin to wipe most of it off. I rolled the candy clay into the left hand corner of the mat (I didn't try covering the entire mat. I was just cutting letters.) I tried it at room temperature and after cooling it in the fridge for <10 min. I also tried taking the letters off at room temp and after cooling them. Both work just fine.

The only problems that I encountered were simple to fix:

1. For me, the candy clay couldn't be any thicker than whatever those purple rings roll it out to. If you go thicker, the needle drags when it's finished making the cut and you'll have a sharp line near or on the cut out itself. If you go thin, you'll likely encounter stretching of the clay unless it's nice and cool when you remove it. I preferred the thicker cut for the letters.

2. Sticking to the mat: I had to reapply cooking spray and wipe it off after each roll out of the candy clay. If I didn't do that, the clay would stick to the mat in a few places here and there when I tried to remove the excess clay or the letter itself.

3. Candy clay getting a little soft after I kneaded and re rolled the same piece about 3 times after making several cuts: I just popped a rolled out piece on the mat into the fridge to cool it down a little.

4. Needle getting dirty and causing slightly ragged cuts: After a few cuts, I just needed to stick the toothbrush in there and brush off the shreds of candy clay that wanted to gather on the needle.

I used medium speed and medium pressure. The largest thing I cut out was 2 inches and the smallest was 1 and 1/4, but I don't see it having a problem cutting any size , You just need the right thickness and to make sure the candy clay isn't too warm and stretchy.

Have fun!! I thought it was easier to use than marshmallow fondant. thumbs_up.gif

pezadoodle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pezadoodle Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 4:09pm
post #8 of 9

oh i am so going to try this this weekend. i am itching to make a halloween cut and only ever used the cricut gumpaste in the tub which i can no longer find anywhere. i am betting the candy clay probably tastes pretty good......can i just use colored candy melts to make colored clay?

Chasey Posted 27 Oct 2011 , 5:14pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by pezadoodle

can i just use colored candy melts to make colored clay?

Yes. I used Wilton's candy melts and light corn syrup. Check their website for proportions.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%