"buttercream Flavored Cake"

Baking By stampinron Updated 28 Sep 2011 , 12:11pm by stampinron

stampinron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stampinron Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 6:28pm
post #1 of 16

Got an odd request for "buttercream flavored cake".

I use Creme Bouquet in my buttercream, do you think this what is meant by the requestor? I'm not sure. I've not used it in cakes before, will this be sussessful?

Or is there another way to get that flavor?

Thank you for any suggestions.

15 replies
stampinron Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:30am
post #2 of 16

any ideas?

teresa13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teresa13 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:55am
post #3 of 16

I have had the same request for a bride's cake due the end of this month. Still looking.....

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 12:56am
post #4 of 16

I always use Cream Bouquet in my french vanilla cake. It's what the bakery I used to work for did and it was their most popular cake. I use a VERY small amount...a heaping 1/4 tsp. They also used it their strawberry and lemon cakes too. Makes a box cake taste like scratch...no kidding!

flourjuice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourjuice Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:14am
post #5 of 16

What is cream bouquet?

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 1:33am
post #6 of 16

carmijok, do you still add vanilla extract to your french vanilla cake too? I bought cream bouquet a long time ago but have been afraid to use it.

carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:22pm
post #7 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa7

carmijok, do you still add vanilla extract to your french vanilla cake too? I bought cream bouquet a long time ago but have been afraid to use it.

No, I don't add any extra vanilla. I use (and the bakery used) Betty Crocker French Vanilla cake mix. Like I said, a little CB goes a very long way. It adds a touch of something that really works with the vanilla cake. I'm telling you we used it for every wedding cake we did (those that wanted vanilla that is). We had so many people begging us for the recipe! Don't be afraid to use it...just don't use too much! A heaping 1/4 tsp for every mix is perfect. You know, now that all the mixes have shrunk an ounce in size, I'd just go with a 1/4 tsp.

I would not put any in the icing that you are using just because it may be a bit much--though it is delicious in frosting. A really good plain buttercream frosting and that cake just taste terrific together.

A favorite filling to use in this cake is raspberry, though just about anything tastes delicious with it. For some reason though, raspberry is the preferred. Me...I love lemon curd filling or whipped chocolate ganache. I'm hungry this morning can you tell? That and I've had 3 cups of coffee.
I'll shut up now! icon_lol.gif

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 3:57pm
post #8 of 16

I get this request all the time and I tell the person that buttercream is an icing flavor not a cake flavor. I haven't come across any buttercream cake mix or recipes yet. But I think you could add clear butter flavoring to French vanilla cake mix or Magic Lines Butter Vanilla Flavoring to white cake mix.

I don't know. I'm in the same boat as carmijok, 2 cups of coffee and glass of Sundrop on top of no breakfast. I should eat now before I die of caffeine overload.

carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 4:02pm
post #9 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakelady2266

I get this request all the time and I tell the person that buttercream is an icing flavor not a cake flavor. I haven't come across any buttercream cake mix or recipes yet. But I think you could add clear butter flavoring to French vanilla cake mix or Magic Lines Butter Vanilla Flavoring to white cake mix.

I don't know. I'm in the same boat as carmijok, 2 cups of coffee and glass of Sundrop on top of no breakfast. I should eat now before I die of caffeine overload.

icon_lol.gif

stampinron Posted 13 Sep 2011 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 16

Thank you for the advice, Carmijok.

I haven't noticed a decrease in box size out west, but I will be on the lookout.
Did the bakery you worked for us the box straight or with an enhanced mix. I usually use the WASC recipe with variations.

carmijok Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:15am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by stampinron

Thank you for the advice, Carmijok.

I haven't noticed a decrease in box size out west, but I will be on the lookout.
Did the bakery you worked for us the box straight or with an enhanced mix. I usually use the WASC recipe with variations.

The straight box mix...no enhancement other than the cream bouquet. I know because I retyped all their recipes for them.

I don't have any qualms about using their recipe or passing it along as the bakery is no longer in existence. Not because they didn't have the business...the owner got burned out because of too much business and she didn't want the extra burden of growing any bigger. Go figure!

Oh...and be sure and sift the cake mix before using. I've used the WASC recipe and while it worked, it was a little too dense and almost sweeter than just the box. I will use the WASC if I have a LOT of cake to do.

Bluebelles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluebelles Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 12:31am
post #12 of 16

Maybe they mean Butter Pecan cake, who really knows?

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 14 Sep 2011 , 1:44am
post #13 of 16

Thanks carmijok. I'm going to give it a try on my next french vanilla cake. icon_smile.gif

bjbakeshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjbakeshop Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 8:27pm
post #14 of 16

Where can I find Creme Bouquet?

carmijok Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 10:20pm
post #15 of 16

You can find it online at numerous websites...just google 'cream bouquet'. Or if you're lucky enough to have a cake supply store close, they might carry it.

stampinron Posted 28 Sep 2011 , 12:11pm
post #16 of 16

Ok, so here is my verdict:

Tried it with a WASC variation using the BC french vanilla. I didn't think the Creme bouquet was quite potent enough.

then tried it with straight BC french vanilla, and while the Creme bouquet was good, I still didn't think it was strong enough and I used a heaping 1/4 tsp. Perhaps I am used to stronger flavors, this is jmho

Next time I'll crank it up a notch and use a bit more.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%