Help With Grass Tip

Decorating By Queenvon Updated 12 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm by DianeLM

Queenvon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Queenvon Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 3

Need tips on easiset and best way to use grass tip. I am a newbie, planning to make garden cupcakes for my grandaughters first birthday. any help is welcome and appreciated.

2 replies
bakerliz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakerliz Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 3

It's all about consistency if you ask me. If you're frosting is too thin (or too warm), your grass will fall over. If it's too stiff, you'll have short stubby grass that looks more like a buzz cut. Practice first to check the consistency and you'll have fun. It's a very forgiving technique (I'm the worst at piping and even I can do it!) icon_smile.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 5:44pm
post #3 of 3

Yep. Consistency. Also, as you pipe, your hand will warm the icing in the bag, making it very soft. I suggest having two or more piping bags made up so you can put the warm one in the frig for a few minutes and continue working with the other bag.

I like to marble the buttercream with different shades of green. It gives a more realistic look.

Base ice your cupcakes with a thin coat of green icing so any areas that don't get covered with grass won't show up. If you try it without base icing, you'll see what I'm talking about. icon_smile.gif

I also suggest buying a backup grass tip. Sometimes a few of the holes will get clogged. Instead of having to waste decorating time washing the tip, just switch to a clean one. (I have 6 grass tips!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%