How Much Mmf?

Decorating By Princessagata Updated 19 Sep 2011 , 2:15pm by Princessagata

Princessagata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princessagata Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 5

Hello!
I am a biginner cake maker and it is just for fun. A friend asked for me to make a cake for her wedding. Never made a big cake before so I have a question: does anyone knows how much MMF I need to cover a stacked 3 tier cake (14",10", 6" x5") and two 12x18x5" sheet cakes?
I would greatly appreciate any help! I usually make the thickness of the rolled fondant a little thick since I do not want to show any mistake I have made with the cakes or the frosting icon_biggrin.gif
Thanks!!!!!!

4 replies
MerlotCook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerlotCook Posted 12 Sep 2011 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 5

I would imagine that MMF is close to the same weight as other fondants, so you could use this chart from GSA http://www.globalsugarart.com/?id=24 . You might need to add just a bit more though since you are doing 5" high cakes and the chart is for 4" high. I'd make a batch or 2 and weight it and then you'd know how much each one weighs. HTH

Tfaye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tfaye Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 5

I don't know if this will help, but I thought I should throw it out here.

I used thick mm fondant on a stacked 2 tier cake and the fondant was so heavy it caused the bottom cake to cave in.

If I were you, I would make sure I had proper support with dowel rods before I stacked it. Unless you are going to assemble it last minute and its only going to sit for a couple of hours before it's cut into. JMNSHO

Tammy

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 15 Sep 2011 , 8:46pm
post #4 of 5

I made a cake the size of your main cake and needed three recipes of MMF, to cover the cakes, make the decorations and cover the cake board. If the two sheet cakes are just for extra servings, like kitchen cakes, there's really no need to cover those with MMF but if you're going to, I'd guess you need three more batches to cover those.

My MMF recipe makes 3 lbs...it has 1lb marshmalllows and 2lb powdered sugar.

And you definitely need dowels in the stacked cake, even if it's only going to sit a few hours.

Princessagata Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Princessagata Posted 19 Sep 2011 , 2:15pm
post #5 of 5

To Melotcook, thank you for the chart!

To Tfaye, I am going to use both dowels and cardboard under each cake and I am going to asselmble it on location so I think it should be OK. Thank you for the tip!

To Texas_Rose, I wanted to cover the sheet cakes with MMF so they will be the same like the tier cake and no one is going to think is a different cake than the other. The MMF is going to cover the cakes and the sheets cake. I do not need to cover the board since I am using a decorative one made of glass and no need for decoration since the bride wants real flowers. I ended up making 3 batches of a recipe I found online that uses 2lb of powered sugar and 15oz marshmellows. Hope is enough. Ifr not I am covering the cakes the night before the weddings so I will have enough time to make one more batch.

I am so nervous! I will make sure to post the final results. Thanks to all! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%