Wedding Cake Stand With Pedestal

Decorating By Evoir Updated 8 Sep 2011 , 3:14am by Bluehue

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:31pm
post #1 of 18

Hi everyone.

As you've probably noticed, the current trend for round wedding cakes seems to be to present them on a single-pedestal cake stand. I do have a couple of these, but their diameter is about 12 inches and I'd like to have something larger.

My main question is this: Can these sorts of stands (which are ceramic or glass) safely hold the weight of a three-four tier wedding cake? Some of my cakes this size weigh 30-40 pounds.

I am worried that the darn things will crack and whooosh! - there goes the cake. I was looking around for heavy duty stands like this and could not find anything denoted as 'heavy duty'. In fact I was beginning to think that all the ones you see in magazines are styro cake dummies!

Can anyone point me in the right direction for finding a good heavy duty round cake stand on a single pedestal? Or will a normal one do the job and I am just being a typical virgo worrying myself sick?

17 replies
Evoir Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:33pm
post #2 of 18

Here's a pic of what I mean (martha Stewart):

Evoir Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:34pm
post #3 of 18

OK I give up. There are photos on Martha Stewart's website with the multi-tiered cakes on single pedestal cake stands, but I can't attach a pic icon_sad.gif

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 11:51pm
post #5 of 18

Definitely not any ole three tier. I will put a 4/6/8, a 5/7/9 or a 4/5/6 on a pedestal, and anything smaller of course. But you're right, most cakes featured on MS and in the fancy mags are dummies. They have to be prepped, and professionally photographed, and the tables have to be styled...real cake just isn't appropriate most times.

cakegrandma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegrandma Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:12am
post #6 of 18

After looking at the picture I don't see why it would not hold the cake like you are saying. 30 - 40 pounds is not a very heavy cake in reality for a wedding cake honestly, they can and do weigh much more. I think it would look pretty on a stand like that so good luck and post a picture.
evelyn

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:26am
post #7 of 18

I rarely do a wedding cake on a cake pedestal. The last one I did was a 8/6/4 so still fairly light. Even then I put it on my sturdiest cake stands for the wedding. The only reason I did that was that I was paid to stay and cut the cake so I got my stand back. Otherwise wedding cakes go on cake drums so that they don't need to be returned. If you use a square or round "wedding cake" stand please do be careful. These are not as sturdy as one would hope. Use a good cake drum or masonite to hold a wedding cake. If you look in my gallery here you will see that only two of the wedding cakes are on cake stands and one of those cakes is mostly dummy (the Tiffany cake) and the other is on one heck of a heavy sturdy stand. All of the others are either on a cake drum or are small cakes.

Cat

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:48am
post #8 of 18

Thanks ladies.

I have been reluctant to even photograph my dummy cakes to put on my website on one of these stands, because I am sure it would lead to a flurry of requests for the same 'look'.

One of my brides yesterday said SHE had a stand that she would like me to use, and I said to her I would have to assess it when I delivred the cake, because it would depend upon its sturdiness.

In any case - there seems to be a market for heavy duty pillared stands! The only one I saw online in a search yesterday was some big ugly wooden thing! I'd still love it if someone could recommend something specific icon_smile.gif

cakegrandma - I know it will look gorgeous, but as I said I am worried about 40 pound bearing down on one (potentially flawed) glass or ceramic pillar. Maybe I should take a couple 7kg boxes of fondant and test it out first, haha icon_smile.gif

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 12:53am
post #9 of 18

This company is all the rage right now. I still don't know if I'd trust a pedestal stand, though.

Sarah's Stands - a Cake Stand Company [www.sarahsstands.com]

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:02am
post #10 of 18

Thanks Leah...I'll check it out.

Wouldn't it be handy if they had a load rating??

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:04am
post #11 of 18

Askand ye shall receive...from her site:

Cake Stand Size Maximum Weight
12 cake stand 75 lbs.
14 cake stand 110 lbs.
16 cake stand 145 lbs.
18 cake stand 180 lbs.
20 cake stand 215 lbs.
22 cake stand 250 lbs.

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:07am
post #12 of 18

Pity (for me) they only ship to the USA icon_sad.gif

kenidicalamity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kenidicalamity Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:23am
post #13 of 18

Pity for me they are crazy expensive!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:31am
post #14 of 18

Morning Evoir...

For the besg *load bearing* structure - just make sure your actual bottom Cake Board is wider than the circumferance of the cake stand itself.

If the cake stand is 12" in diameter - then put your cake on a 14" board...
That way the weight is distributed evenly...

I have done this - and truely - works a treat.

If you wish - my DH can make you some - in what ever colours you want - gloss or matt finish.

He has made all of mine that i use....when using wooden ones.
He makes them to come apart for easy storage....

These pink ones...
One Large Round and Two Petal Shape ones....
All with pink ribbon around the edging.
http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/PASTEL%20PINK%20BALLERINA%20CAKE%20AND%20PARTY%20-%20CHOCOLATE%20-%20CUP%20CAKES%20-%20SMALL%20SWEETS.

Black ones in varying heights... and different shaped pedestals
http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/BLUE%20BLACK%20AND%20WHITE%20-%20MUSICAL

http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/GREEN%20BLACK%20AND%20WHITE

And orange - just to show a few..
http://manywhitebowls.blogspot.com/search/label/PINK%20AND%20ORANGE

Bluehue

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:18am
post #15 of 18

Oh my gosh - your husband is a genius!

I'd suggest he has a look at that Sarah's Stands site and see what he can be selling his cake stands for! I am sure he could make great round ones with wide based pedestals just to distribute among cake decorating shops. At the very least I think I would like to commission one from him.

I'll send you a PM and you can let me know the details of pricing etc. I can fix you up via Paypal if you like?

For now though, as I need one soonish, I have ordered in a stainless steel one - commercial grade. I figure I can dress it up or down, or even paint that sucker ivory and tie a ribbon around it to get ti looking wedding-y. I paid $19 for it.

Thanks hon,

Eve

Evoir Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 2:19am
post #16 of 18

PS - I am now following your blog too! I love your work icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:11am
post #17 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

Oh my gosh - your husband is a genius!

LOLLLLLL - I just happened to mention one day about different cake stands i would like - ones that had different height pedestals - and after about 10 minutes of yadda yadda yadda he nodded and said - "we can do this".... so i drew what i wanted - then went walk about with him looking at wood - found what i required - then off to the paint shop to decide what colours.

I'd suggest he has a look at that Sarah's Stands site and see what he can be selling his cake stands for! I am sure he could make great round ones with wide based pedestals just to distribute among cake decorating shops. At the very least I think I would like to commission one from him.
He has made two for other *Cakers*......

I'll send you a PM and you can let me know the details of pricing etc. I can fix you up via Paypal if you like?

For now though, as I need one soonish, I have ordered in a stainless steel one - commercial grade. I figure I can dress it up or down, or even paint that sucker ivory and tie a ribbon around it to get ti looking wedding-y. I paid $19 for it.
Its amazing what we come up with - and thumbs_up.gif up to you - thats a good deal.
Don't forget to charge *hire* icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks hon,
Your very welcome....
you can email me - my email address is on my Blog........ just click on that

I just box them up - totally wrapped in bubble wrap - and send them off.

Blue.

Eve

Bluehue Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 3:14am
post #18 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoir

PS - I am now following your blog too! I love your work icon_smile.gif

Oh thank you petal............. icon_smile.gif
Kind of you to say so.

Blue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%