Non-Refrigerated Chocolate Filling Plz!

Baking By sarascakecreations Updated 11 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm by Mme_K

sarascakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarascakecreations Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:30pm
post #1 of 15

Hello,

I have a wedding cake to do and am in desperate need of a good chocolate filling to put in my marble cake. The one i usually make has milk in it therefore it's not the safest one to use for a wedding cake.

I have also used some nutrifil in the past and added cocoa powder to it but it was horrible! Should I add the cocoa powder when the nutrifil is in it's liquid state? Also how much for 1 cup of nutrifil?? or maybe should I use real melted chocolate into the nutrifil?

I really like using nutrifil but no idea how to make it nice and chocolately???

I'm open to other non-refrigerated chocolate fillings too!
Please and thanks!

14 replies
ConfectionsCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ConfectionsCC Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 15

What about using chocolate ganache? You can buy chocolate as rich and as deep as you want, from bittersweet to milk chocolate (recipe will change slightly as you go with a softer chocolate) And even though it uses heavy cream, it is safe at room temp making it perfect for a wedding cake! super yummy too!!

Periperi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Periperi Posted 6 Sep 2011 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 15

I would suggest chocolate ganache or a nice rich fudgy buttercream.

sarascakecreations Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:38am
post #4 of 15

I have never made ganache... isn't it a liquid type of icing that you pour? I would like a nice thick layer of filling inbetween my cake layers?

Can you give me a recipe for ganache?

Also.... got a good recipe for a fudgey buttercream? Although buttercream takes butter and milk so is that really a good filling choice for a cake that's going to sit out all night?

Thanks!

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:27am
post #5 of 15

If u let the ganache sit over night in the frig it will become a solid form that would be great for a filling

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 4:45am
post #6 of 15

I forgot to mention that the next day if it to hard put in the microwave seconds at a time till it becomes playable ...... Food luck

kisamarie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kisamarie Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 5:20am
post #7 of 15

I agree a Ganache would be perfect, and it isnt too runny, at least the Martha Stewart recipe isn't. I use that as a filling all the time, and I do not refrigerate it.

sarascakecreations Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:26pm
post #8 of 15

Is this the martha stewart recipe you are talking about: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/whipped-chocolate-ganache

it has heavy cream in the recipe.... does it need to be refrigerated?

I also found this one: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/recipe/chocolate-ganache-recipe

this one has corn syrop: http://www.marthastewart.com/281320/chocolate-ganache-frosting

please help! I searched martha stewart chocolate ganache and so many came up :s

Thanks in advance!

sarascakecreations Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 15

IF I need this filling to sit out for the wedding cake... should I replace the heavy cream with nutrifil? Also is there a difference between heavy cream and whipping cream?

mandyloo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mandyloo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarascakecreations

IF I need this filling to sit out for the wedding cake... should I replace the heavy cream with nutrifil? Also is there a difference between heavy cream and whipping cream?

Ganache can be left un refrigerated. I don't know what nutrifill is, but heavy cream and whipping cream are similar, but I think they may have a slightly different fat content. I've used them interchangeably in ganache recipes.

mandyloo Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 2:40pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:

Ganache can be left un refrigerated. I don't know what nutrifill is, but heavy cream and whipping cream are similar, but I think they may have a slightly different fat content. I've used them interchangeably in ganache recipes.

sarascakecreations Posted 7 Sep 2011 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 15

Nutrifil is a non dairy whipped topping I use very often.

Thanks!

Now any tips on which recipe to use?

sarascakecreations Posted 8 Sep 2011 , 1:01am
post #13 of 15

Anyone???? ganache recipe?

mandyloo Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 5:42pm
post #14 of 15
Quote:

Anyone???? ganache recipe?

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/?s=ganache

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 11 Sep 2011 , 7:45pm
post #15 of 15

Here's a link to a ganache recipe and a video on how to make it. It has other useful information, too:

http://www.artandappetite.com/category/recipes/
HTH thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%