Attaching Heavy Items To Side Of Cake

Decorating By molly_36 Updated 21 Sep 2011 , 2:06am by josefina20

molly_36 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
molly_36 Posted 2 Sep 2011 , 4:27pm
post #1 of 9

I'm looking at the Animal Pring and Pink cake in the most saved cakes today and wondering how that pink bow is attached? RI?
Same with bigger flowers on the sides of cakes. I've used wires with a big flower but know there has to be a better way.
How do you attach to fondant cakes? What about putting a bow or flower on the side of a BC cake?
Need some input please.

8 replies
Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 5:40am
post #2 of 9

Yes, this is a big problem and I'd be glad of some advice, too. What I usually do is attach the bow, flower or whatever to a bamboo skewer when I'm making it and stick that into my cake, but sometimes even that's not enough. Maybe a combination of the skewer and melted chocolate for a fondant cake. I have no idea what to do for a buttercream cake, since I make them so seldom.

jennifercullen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jennifercullen Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 3:39pm
post #3 of 9

I would love to know if theres a good way to do this, I've just made my first buttercream cake and had to attach a nose part made from fondant. I ended up using lots of little skewers, and I'm still worried its going to fall off. with fondant, you have the surface to stick the item to with ri as well as supporting it with skewers, but I've still had one fall off on me before!

tarabara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarabara Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 4:16pm
post #4 of 9

I'm in the same boat as you guys...for flowers going down the side of a cake I know I'm not supposed to put wires in the cake but if I just put the flowers on skewers or toothpicks there's no way to attach leaves. And heavy deorations just fall off. Help!

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 10:29pm
post #5 of 9

Hmmm, and I thought it was just me!

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:38pm
post #6 of 9

Some put the wires in straws and stick the straws into the cake! icon_lol.gif

platinumlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
platinumlady Posted 5 Sep 2011 , 11:56pm
post #7 of 9

Have you thought about asking the maker of the cake you saw? I think that might be a good starting point since that person has already accomplished that.

mommie917 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommie917 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 1:30am
post #8 of 9

If you look at some of the cakes I've made with bows I usually attach it with "glue" (tylose and water) then I poke toothpicks inside the loops....hope that helps

josefina20 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
josefina20 Posted 21 Sep 2011 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

I would like some advice, too. Like the the Candy Land cakes, How can you hold the lollipop in place ?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%