How To Write On Side Of Cake Covered In Fondant.

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 7:31pm by AngelFood4

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:57pm
post #1 of 3

Hi! I have a wedding cake order that the bride wants 3 tiers and all tiers round/covered in fondant. Each tier is decorated with varying fonts of writing in words such as "Love" and "Forever" I have never piped on the SIDE of anything. Is it better to try to stencil all of this? (Not sure how this would work as they'd overlap), or use piping? And what is the best way to put my guide on the fondant before piping? I've used edible ink before and wrote it out and then piped overtop but this has to be pure white.
PS- I've also heard of people piping on some form of paper/acetate and then transferring it onto the cake but I don't know how that'd work. TIA!

2 replies
AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 4:11pm
post #2 of 3

I would just use buttercream icing & pipe it on - practice first on the side of your cake pans & then put it on the cake freehand. I love using buttercream to write on fondant because it easily wipes off if you mess up. If you are writing white on white fondant, that's super easy....just wipe off & start over. If you are writing with a color on fondant, then it is not as easy since after you wipe it off, there would be color left over. Then you would need to clean the color off with a paper towel dampened with vodka. The vodka will leave a shiny spot on your fondant, but just lightly rub cornstarch over it to get rid of the shine. You can usually "re-do" the same spot about twice if needed & still have it look normal. If you use the vodka too much in one spot though, it will start to wear down that area of the fondant so I don't suggest doing it too much. HTH!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 7:31pm
post #3 of 3

make tiny piping bags (about 2 inches tall) that fit right into you hand so you can hold it like you would a pen helps with control too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%