Castle Turrants

Decorating By deena1987 Updated 29 Aug 2011 , 3:58am by Laulie

deena1987 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deena1987 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:18am
post #1 of 6

I'm doing a castle cake next weekend. If I do the turrants with paper towel rolls covered in buttercream will the rolls fall apart? Will the buttercream make them soft? She wants the cake Friday night for the party Saturday. Thanks!

5 replies
bikemom3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikemom3 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 1:51am
post #2 of 6

I used rice crispy treats to make turrets. It was easy. I just cut out a bunch of circles and stacked them and put a dowel through the center. I would definately worry about the bc softening the paper towel roll.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:09am
post #3 of 6

I just posted the castle cake I made this weekend. I, too, used RKT---however I packed it into empty gift wrap rolls, sliced them apart in appropriate lengths and shoved a dowel through. I covered them in fondant then rolled them over the impression mat like using a rolling pin.

Good luck on your cake.

(Incidentally, I made them several days ahead so the fondant would dry enough to handle when inserting them into the cake and board.)

Jan

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:10am
post #4 of 6

I just posted the castle cake I made this weekend. I, too, used RKT---however I packed it into empty gift wrap rolls, sliced them apart in appropriate lengths and shoved a dowel through. I covered them in fondant then rolled them over the impression mat like using a rolling pin.

Good luck on your cake.

(Incidentally, I made them several days ahead so the fondant would dry enough to handle when inserting them into the cake and board.)

Jan

gidgetdoescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gidgetdoescakes Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:42am
post #5 of 6

I used pvc pipes completely covered with fondant (of course we didnt eat them hehe) but they work great....I would cover the paper towel holder with wax paper or parchment or it will soak thru and collapse....but I would think buttercream would then slide off hmmmm. RKT may be your best option

here is my castle pics

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2039618/2039625

Laulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laulie Posted 29 Aug 2011 , 3:58am
post #6 of 6

I made a castle cake over the weekend too. I used fondant to cover paper towel rolls and pringles tubs. I wrapped them in cling wrap first and then greased them. Once the fondant was hard I slid the tubes out. For the turrets on top of the cake, I made a fondant 'bung' and put a dowel through it and stuck it all with royal icing.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2137695

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%