Need Help With A Baby Food Cake!

Decorating By Iluvmysolja Updated 27 Aug 2011 , 3:01am by Iluvmysolja

Iluvmysolja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iluvmysolja Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:03am
post #1 of 12

So I just got a call for a cake needed Sunday and she wants me to put some kind of green baby food into the cake and still be able to cover the taste, I am so lost as to what can cover this and all my searches I have found only work with banana, carrot, apple and prune baby food but she specifically asked for a green baby food like spinach or peas.

HELP PLEASE!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

11 replies
sweet_tooth_0710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweet_tooth_0710 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:20am
post #2 of 12

I am very new to cakes, but could you do zucchini? Kinda green?

Iluvmysolja Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #3 of 12

she wants a more traditional cake so like a white or chocolate cake with a green veggie incorporated

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:24am
post #4 of 12

Do they want the color? How much do you need to add? Sounds to me like they want the color so I'd use one small jar and add more green food color.
OR you could add the peas like one would make a marbled cake - just put some spoonfulls around and swirl it into the batter a bit.

Iluvmysolja Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:27am
post #5 of 12

no she isn't worried about the color but I guess she wants veggies because she can't really get her kids to.

I'm trying to figure out how much you'd be able to actually taste zucchini in a chocolate cake

angelleyes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelleyes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 1:53am
post #6 of 12

Thats the wierdest request I have ever heard of I think

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:30am
post #7 of 12

There are a number of green tomato cake recipes out ther including one by Paula Deen (although I have not made any myself yet). I doubt you could buy premade green tomato baby food, but you could cook and puree the tomatoes and i think be justified in calling it baby food. Good luck!

maisyone2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisyone2 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:31am
post #8 of 12

Wow... I have to agree this is the weirdest request I have ever heard of! Does she really think her kids are going get a measurable amount of nutrition by having some green baby food added to a cake? A cake is a cake... it is what it is. Like every other normal mother out there, she needs to tell her kids to eat their vegetables or they don't get dessert!

Still shaking my head on this one.....LOL

shuswapcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shuswapcakes Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:40am
post #9 of 12

My mother-in-law always makes her chocolate cakes with Zucchini and they are DELICIOUS! She says it makes them really moist and taste better and she must be right because we're all fighting over who gets to take the last piece home. If I remember correctly she would use one whole zucchini (cut up) in her food processor and then add it to her cake batter. If you google "chocolate cake with zucchini" you'll get lots of recipes. I'm not sure about peas though, that's a weird one that I can't say I've ever triedicon_confused.gif

Iluvmysolja Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 2:54am
post #10 of 12

I'm so glad I'm not the only who thought that, I have a chocolate zucchini in the oven I am praying it turns out ok. I have a thing of DH cream cheese frosting in the pantry to throw on it to make sure it tastes ok even though I like my recipe a lot more. I haven't herd from her on facebook to ask more questions but I guess I ought to put a butter cream frosting on there instead or maybe even a banana butter cream frosting since she wants SOME nutrition in the cake.

Though a weird request some parents are like that, at least she didn't ask for an all organic, sugar free gluten free cake and still want it to taste good LOL

gramof5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gramof5 Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:00am
post #11 of 12

The flavor of the chocolate cake will mask just a bout any green veggie, like peas or spinach. In the ice cream industry, when a batch of whatever flavor doesn't come out right, they just add chocolate!

Iluvmysolja Posted 27 Aug 2011 , 3:01am
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gramof5

The flavor of the chocolate cake will mask just a bout any green veggie, like peas or spinach. In the ice cream industry, when a batch of whatever flavor doesn't come out right, they just add chocolate!

thats good to know from now on, I thankfully had some zucchini on hand but I'll have to remake it tomorrow

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%