I Hate Fondx!!

Decorating By DivaOfTheCakeInNJ Updated 11 Sep 2017 , 1:28pm by LynneCakes

DivaOfTheCakeInNJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DivaOfTheCakeInNJ Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 11:54am
post #1 of 30

NEver have I used such a terrible product! I picked it up because I heard it was supposed to taste better than any other fondant. What I got was a sticky, soft terrible mess. It does not hold it's shape, slips down the cake, sticks to EVERYTHING - hands, rolling mat, rolling pin even with using a little Crisco which seemed to make it even softer. I had to add a half a cup of cornstarch just to get this mess unstuck from everything and get it to form a ball. icon_sad.gif

That was not the worst of it. I tried to color it black (making a Nikon Digital SLR cake for a client). Even after two jars of a high quality black gel food coloring, the Fondx turned a deep, ugly teal green! icon_cry.gif

I ended up having to go out and get my old brand of fondant, which although it starts out stiff, works in to a beautifully pliable product and turns a gorgeous shiny black with only a little coloring.

I will not and do not recommend Fondx to anyone!! Don't waste your money and avoid the heartache. thumbsdown.gif

29 replies
jenje Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenje Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:10pm
post #2 of 30

I agree. The exact same thing happened to me, only it did turn black at first & turned green after I added it to the cake! Plus I bought a 10 lb bucket of it!

StephsCakes72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephsCakes72 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 30

Wow, I'm so sorry you both are experiencing problems. Fondx is mostly what I use. I love it...swear by it. Never had an "unfixable" problem with it. It doesn't yield vivid colors sometimes. When I need deep colors, I mix it with Satin Ice and it does fine. I love how it stretches and I never get cracks or elephant skin.

GeorgiaGingerbread Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeorgiaGingerbread Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #4 of 30

I LOVE Fondx! I have not had a problem with it either. But Crisco will make it softer and you should add confectioner's sugar to fondant and not cornstarch. Cornstarch is best when working with gumpaste.

olleharr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
olleharr Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #5 of 30

2 jars of black gel? I've never tried Fondx but I find that the other fondants I use get a little sticky if I use too much gel coloring. I've never even come close to using that much though. I've found the only way I can get black or red fondant is if I use powdered coloring. I end up using almost a whole jar but it doesn't get sticky and the color is a true black and red.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 30

Fondx does lean toward the soft side.

I'm guessing that because the parent company is in CA, they're all out no trans-fats. Adding Crisco, also no trans fats, will increase the softness.

I like it alone. It's great for "gum paste" when you mix in some tylose or cmc.

I'm very happy with their pre-colored product. If I need to color it a darker color myself, I definitely would use powder. ANY wet color will make it unmanageable.

When I need a firmer fondant, I mix it with 1/3 or 1/1 Wilton fondant and I get a wonderful tasting, great working product. For this reason, I use my Michael's & Joann coupons to buy large boxes of Wilton that I keep on the shelf next to my Fondx.

Rae

usmdesigner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
usmdesigner Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 30

I'm pretty sure nothing in this world would ever make me try to make my own black fondant again, especially from white. Maybe if I started with chocolate I would.

CalhounsCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalhounsCakery Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:31pm
post #8 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

When I need a firmer fondant, I mix it with 1/3 or 1/1 Wilton fondant and I get a wonderful tasting, great working product. For this reason, I use my Michael's & Joann coupons to buy large boxes of Wilton that I keep on the shelf next to my Fondx.

Rae

What a great idea! I'm going to have to give that a try. My home made fondant can make me cry some days...

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 8:33pm
post #9 of 30

Yeah... I use fondx exclusively and there is a bit of a learning curve with it when you go from a stiffer product.

I used to use Satin Ice, but I hated the cracking I'd get at the top edge no matter how fast I got the fondant on the cake. I switched to Fondx a while back and never looked back. It's great once you get the hang of it. I little dusting of corn starch is all I need and a re dust if it starts to stick to my counter. I have never colored it black... I buy it pre colored. Any fondant will become a sticky mess if you add too much gel color to it. The glycerin in it softens the heck out of the fondant. Also... over kneading, which you have to do when you color fondant, will make it very soft, but if you let it sit and come back to it it is always fine.

Fondx sells precolored tubs of the regular formula and the elite formula. The elite is softer and has a slight raspberry flavor to it that I don't like. I personally love the regular formula. It covers beautifully and doesn't get elephant skin like mentioned by a previous poster. I can get a nice crisp top edge too. Love it!

pinkpiggie78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkpiggie78 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:11pm
post #10 of 30

I love FONDX and use it almost exclusively. I have no problems using it or coloring it...

cakeastic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeastic Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 9:55pm
post #11 of 30

I use Fondx as well- never had any problems

sabre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sabre Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 10:50pm
post #12 of 30

After trying several other brands, Fondx is my favorite. Fondx has no medicinal taste, no chemical smell, no sugar coma experience. Their precolored fondant is intense and easy to handle.

sweettreat101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettreat101 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:17am
post #13 of 30

I love Fondx. I used it for the first time in June when I needed to cover nine cakes. I had no problems using the product. Actually covered the cakes faster than I have ever been able to cover before. I use the Sweetwise mat so I don't know if that made a difference. I personally don't like Satin Ice fondant. Do you live in an area with high humidity? I live on the west coast so I don't have that problem. As for coloring fondant black I try to use chocolate fondant that way I don't have to use as much black coloring. I was told years ago to start with brown and then add black and it works great.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:44am
post #14 of 30

While I can't stand the smell of the artificial clear vanilla they use on the product, I admit we used it in school, on dummies, and we never had a problem with it, in texture or in coloring.

It also makes really great gumpaste, when mixed with gum tragacanth.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

secondbase Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
secondbase Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 7:56am
post #15 of 30

Another Fondx user. While it is on the softer side, I've not had any problems I couldn't work out with it. I've had better luck with Fondx than any other brand I've tried!

AbouttheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AbouttheCake Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 9:19am
post #16 of 30

I love Fondx too. Yes, it's a bit on the softer side but not as soft at Satin Ice has been. A quick question...was your Fondx left in a car or hot area for an extended period? I have found that excessive heat (if I've left it in the car overnight) can alter the makeup of the fondant. This applies to all fondants, not just Fondx. Also, was the seal tight on the tub? I've had a batch (of another fondant) that was moldy when I opened it and it was because the bucket had a crack in the bottom of it.

Fondx doesn't usually tint very dark, especially black. That's why they've created Elite. It's done for you. Also, when trying to achieve black, it's best to get the fondant dark, but then go over it with an airbrush. Chances are it was the food coloring that was creating the teal color rather than the fondant itself.

Hope that helps.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 28 Aug 2011 , 11:49am
post #17 of 30

I just started using fondx and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! It is so much easier to cover a cake. No tearing at all. I was using satin ice which I liked, but had to work quickly or the sides would tear off. I have aslo dyed it black with a little gel coloring without a problem. Maybe your coloring was old?

unctoothlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
unctoothlady Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 6:30pm
post #18 of 30

I totally LOVE fondx! I learned to use it with THE MAT. It is an excellent product. It's all I will ever use.

I am so sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe try it again??? If you have some left.

mburkett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mburkett Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 6:47pm
post #19 of 30

I used Fondx for the 1st time this past weekend with my new "The Mat" and loved it. (I bought a bunch at $5 a tub and which I would've gotten more). I've never been able to go thin and get a super smooth finish. I was happy, hopefully it works out as well next time too. (I've always used Satin Ice and got lots of elephant skin.) It is a little soft which made some decorations a bit tricker but I thought it worked well overall.

unctoothlady Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 30

Check out THE MAT on www.sweetwise.com. It's a great product. I LOVE fondant now (esp fondx....)thanks to this mat.

sabre Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:14pm
post #21 of 30

Just received my order for the most brilliant color of purple fondant ever produced....by Fondx! In addition to great fondant, Caljava has excellent customer service.

unctoothlady Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:16pm
post #22 of 30

Their customer service is great but it takes FOREVER to get the product! At least to get it from West Coast to East. I usually order through Global Sugar Arts. They are reasonably priced AND quick!

**but they are here on the East Coast**

icon_smile.gif

Price Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Price Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:23pm
post #23 of 30

I'm using Fondex for the 1st time on a cake for this weekend. It is the Elite Black for a tire cake using the Caljava tire tread mold. It seems like it is going to be ok to work with, but I am really disappointed in the artificial raspberry taste. I hoping the taste will be a little better when it's on the cake. I can't afford to throw it away! Has anyone else used it? If so what did you think about the flavor?

sabre Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:44pm
post #24 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by unctoothlady

Their customer service is great but it takes FOREVER to get the product! At least to get it from West Coast to East. I usually order through . They are reasonably priced AND quick!

**but they are here on the East Coast**

icon_smile.gif

Guess I should have added that Caljava has REASONABLE shipping rates.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 1 Sep 2011 , 8:45pm
post #25 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Price

I'm using Fondex for the 1st time on a cake for this weekend. It is the Elite Black for a tire cake using the Caljava tire tread mold. It seems like it is going to be ok to work with, but I am really disappointed in the artificial raspberry taste. I hoping the taste will be a little better when it's on the cake. I can't afford to throw it away! Has anyone else used it? If so what did you think about the flavor?

I've used the Elite Black Fondx and I'm not too fond of the flavoring, but it's not bad, I usually grab the regular Black Fondx because I like the flavor better.

To the OP: I LOVE FONDX and have never had any problems with it. You may have gotten a bad batch.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 3 Sep 2011 , 11:47am
post #26 of 30

Finds makes colors on their regular formula too and it tastes a lot better. I won't use the Elite because of that odd raspberry flavor. Too bad, because the colors of the Elite are great. But you can achieve any color with the right color mixing know-how. I get mine from GSA too but I am also on the East coast. If I order early in the morning most times I get it next day so you can't beat that with a stick.

angeliaaki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angeliaaki Posted 10 Sep 2011 , 5:19pm
post #27 of 30

i used fondx for the first time last night and it was a NIGHTMARE!!!!! it elephant skinned so quickly and tore on the sides of my cake. i was so upset. needless to say, im done with fondx. i dont know if temperature has anything to do with my problems. i am in arizona and it is hot during the summer and i try to keep my house cool but maybe the fondx need a much cooler environment to be workable.

1tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1tyty Posted 1 Sep 2017 , 11:04pm
post #28 of 30

Well maybe I got a bad batch, because I hated it too. My problem is it set before I could even get it on the cake, it was rock hard after about 10 minutes of putting it on the cake. Very hard to work with I prefer fondarific it's definitely worth the money.

youngj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
youngj Posted 3 Sep 2017 , 11:05pm
post #29 of 30

I really like fondx. They have about any color and multiple shades of colors to buy. Never had any problem dying it any color including black.

Plus I never use crisco on it either I use powder sugar or cornstarch to help roll it out. I made a cake the other weekend and let the name set up before putting it on the cake and it took a little longer than usual to "harden" but other than that its always been a good product for me.

LynneCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LynneCakes Posted 11 Sep 2017 , 1:28pm
post #30 of 30

Ditto here!  I saw all the big cake decorators on TV use Satin Ice so decided to try it.  Holy frustrations!  Elephant skin, cracking....no matter how much shortening or even spritzes of water and kneeding, constant elephant skin.  Fondx has always performed perfectly for me and I've never had these issues with cracking and elephant skin.  

Quote by @lilmissbakesalot on 26 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm

Yeah... I use fondx exclusively and there is a bit of a learning curve with it when you go from a stiffer product.

I used to use Satin Ice, but I hated the cracking I'd get at the top edge no matter how fast I got the fondant on the cake. I switched to Fondx a while back and never looked back. It's great once you get the hang of it. I little dusting of corn starch is all I need and a re dust if it starts to stick to my counter. I have never colored it black... I buy it pre colored. Any fondant will become a sticky mess if you add too much gel color to it. The glycerin in it softens the heck out of the fondant. Also... over kneading, which you have to do when you color fondant, will make it very soft, but if you let it sit and come back to it it is always fine.

Fondx sells precolored tubs of the regular formula and the elite formula. The elite is softer and has a slight raspberry flavor to it that I don't like. I personally love the regular formula. It covers beautifully and doesn't get elephant skin like mentioned by a previous poster. I can get a nice crisp top edge too. Love it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%