Help Please !

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 2:13am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 11:02pm
post #1 of 5

Ok, I have crumb coated my cakes, I put semi heavy items evenly on them to help them settle. I keep having to move the item around because it sometimes looks like the cake is tilting a little to one side. so I move it again to make it look level again. It is bulging just a little , not much. so is this part of what the heavy items on top is for so that it bulges a little now in stead of when cake is set up?
I have a 6,8,10,12,14, My 12 and 14 are about 3 inches. didn't level right. I have the sps system and ones that I can cut to proper height.. So do I put in the 4 inch ones on the 4 inch cakes and cut the 3 inch ... well will be little higher after final frosting and put those in. Will that be ok that they are different heights?
I'm going to do the rosettes on the 14inch tomorrow. Because the cakes will sit overnight do I need to do anything like mist the cake to get the rosettes to stick to sides. Sorry for this fast messy email. In between making frosting and heading back down to our church to work on them some more. And quick replies are very much aprreciated. thanks,

4 replies
cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:14am
post #2 of 5

I'm not a fan of placing things on top of the cake to force settle.

How heavy are the items you used?

I simply apply a firm pressure when placing the layers on top of each other and than allow them to sit a bit. I've never had an issue with bulging.

Yes, cut the SPS supports to fit the individual tiers...wait until you've finished icing the tiers before you measure how tall you'll need them to be.

You can attach the roses with a bit of butter cream.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:29am
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by funtodecorate2

My 12 and 14 are about 3 inches.

Will that be ok that they are different heights?

No, not if the other tiers are 4" tall. You want the large base tiers to look strong and sturdy, not short and squatty in proportion to the upper tiers.

You can get away with a 3" tall top tier when other tiers are 4" tall, but not the other way around with only 3" tall base tiers. You'll regret it not looking proportionate (in person and in photos)... I'd bake more layers. It's okay for base layers to be taller than 4" too, as long as the 12" isn't taller than the 14".

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 12:53am
post #4 of 5

Different height tiers can look very nice together. Here's a great example right here in the CC galleries. The bottom 2 tiers are shorter than the top tiers and it looks very nice.

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/1609251

If you want more height on the bottom tiers you could always place them on 1/2" foamcore boards.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #5 of 5

thank you all.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%