Dummy Layer?

Decorating By Alycat613 Updated 26 Aug 2011 , 4:23am by lilmissbakesalot

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 5

I am working on making a wedding cake for a family member of a friend. She originally told me that she wanted a 3 tier square cake and 6, yes 6, dozen cupcakes. However, she just informed me that she has only had 60 rsvp's at this point. The wedding is quickly approaching and I am trying to come up with a solution for her. She does NOT want any fondant on the cake so it will be covered in buttercream. Can I do a dummy layer and cover it with icing? What do you use for a dummy layer? Is it just styrofoam? Thank you for any help!!!

4 replies
Baker_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Baker_Rose Posted 25 Aug 2011 , 6:18pm
post #2 of 5

Yes, a dummy cake is a 4-inch high dense styrofoam "cake" that you can either cover with buttercream, so it looks like a real cake when it's done. You can also build your own out of styrofoam from the craft store.

It sounds like for 60 people you will need either the cake OR the cupcakes. a 3-tier square will be more than enough, so you don't need any cupcakes at all.

Tami icon_smile.gif

Alycat613 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alycat613 Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 3:45am
post #3 of 5

Thank you!! I know that the cake or the cupcakes would be plenty, but she seems so unwilling to give up either one! That is what is making this so difficult because that is a LOT of cake all together!!

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:02am
post #4 of 5

Why not make coordinating cake pops instead? Perhaps use those as part of her wedding favors when the guests leave. I can't imagine someone eating cake AND cupcakes if they're the same flavor!

You can also do a tower with a small cake on top for the bride and groom and the rest cupcakes below. Still have a tiered look but not so much cake!

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 26 Aug 2011 , 4:23am
post #5 of 5

You could do a 4-6-8 for the cake an then have 1 dozen cupcakes to go with it. That will give you just over 60 servings. She won't have to give up on her vision for her cake and you won't have to make as much.

Win Win!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%