Metallic Buttercream

Decorating By paula380 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 3:22pm by paula380

paula380 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula380 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,

Thank you in advance for all your help.

My best friend has asked me to make her wedding cake for her, which I am over the moon about. However, she has sent me these two links and told me she loved the platinum effect fondant cake and the metallic style orange buttercream. I don't want to tell her this, but I have no idea how to do this. Can anyone help me out? I was wondering if it is lustre dust or spray?
x

8 replies
knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:15pm
post #2 of 9

Would you be able to post the links or a sample of what she may want? I'd love to help!!

Samb88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samb88 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:32pm
post #4 of 9

I would lean towards spray for the platinum cake, and some lustre dust mixed into your buttercream with maybe a quick spray after to give it some depth icon_wink.gif!

Others may think different though!

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:51pm
post #5 of 9

If you look carefully, I think both of those are ribbons. The platinum, has some lustre dust above the wide ribbon. The orange one is ribbon as well.

I don't see the orange butter cream as metallic.

Can you be very specific as to which parts of the cake you want to reproduce and in what colors? That would help.

knlcox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
knlcox Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 9

I agree with Samb88. I was thinking maybe there's some pearl dust mixed into the buttercream to give it that pearly/metallic effect. Maybe silver spray or could be airbrushed onto the platinum cake, maybe even dusted silver on there.

paula380 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:06pm
post #7 of 9

Hi matthewkyrankelly,

In the first link - http://www.genii-cupcakes.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/vintagetower.jpg

The cake on the top (one with ribbon) looks like it's platinum fondant. Also, the chantilly lace beneath looks very pearly.

This one - http://www.genii-cupcakes.co.uk/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/burntorangecupcaketower.jpg

I thought the orange rose swirl cupcake looked kind of metallic.

xxx

matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:19pm
post #8 of 9

You can do all of that with lustre dust. I would buy some and get the effect you want. Pictures don't show that well.

FYI - you can buy silver powder that you either wet with alcohol and brush on or I have dry brushed in some instances.

The effect you want is probably a combination. You will be surprised at how a little goes a long way.

paula380 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:22pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you so much to all of you for all your help. You have no idea how much I appreciate it.

One last favour...can anyone give me a link or a make of the best spray or powder to use? xxx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%