Buttercream That Will Hold Up In Some Heat

Baking By Kim69 Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm by VentureSister

Kim69 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kim69 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:14am
post #1 of 8

i am looking for a buttercream recipe that will hold up in the heat and humidity. Is there anyone willing to share a recipe with me

7 replies
VentureSister Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VentureSister Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:35am
post #2 of 8

Look in the recipe section for indydebi's buttercream. It is a crusting buttercream and it holds up well here in the humid South.

cakelady2266 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady2266 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 2:41am
post #3 of 8

Being in Alabama we have a lot of heat and humidity but you would be surprised how many people want their cakes outside in the 100 degree heat. I've never had any problems with buttercream but the past two summers have been unbearably hot. I had always used regular shortening (Crisco) until about a year ago when I switched to high ratio shortening and it holds up to anything. I use 2 cups of shortening to 8 cups powdered sugar. I combine my shortening and flavoring (Magic Lines butter vanilla) then add 4 cups sugar mix only until incorporated then add the other 4 cups sugar. I don't usually have to add any other liquid. Be sure not to over beat your icing. This makes white butter cream and if I want French buttercream I add about 3 Tbsp. butter or margarine and 1/2 teaspoon of regular vanilla to the above ingredients. Hope this helps.

SarahBeth3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahBeth3 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:02am
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by VentureSister

Look in the recipe section for indydebi's buttercream. It is a crusting buttercream and it holds up well here in the humid South.

I second that!

caymancake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caymancake Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:30am
post #5 of 8

Indydebi's works great! Geechigirl's is good too,but I add a bit more flavoring to it.

As someone who lives in the Caribbean where it's hot ALL the time, there is only one real secret....say it with me...shortening! Lol!

Hope it helps!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 8

I think this one should work nicely, it came out really thick when I made it, but I'm a n00b so I could easily be wrong.

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/18502/all-butter-american-buttercream

VentureSister Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #7 of 8

Tails- I mean no disrespect or offense. Around here in the summer if you use an all butter buttercream, it will melt right off the cake.

VentureSister Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 8

Tails- I mean no disrespect or offense. Around here in the summer if you use an all butter buttercream, it will melt right off the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%