Had To Refund A "donation" Pymnt :(

Decorating By fedra Updated 16 Nov 2011 , 3:40pm by Cakery2012

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 1:56am
post #31 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

If it were me, I would send the $70. directly to the bride, not the mother. I would include a note saying, "I'm sending this back per your mother's request since she was so disappointed in the cake. (bride may not even know mother is doing this) I'm doing this against my better judgement as I believe you were well aware that I was a beginner when you came to me, a former coworker, in order to save yourself eight or nine hundred dollars by asking me to do your cake for free.
Now, not only have I spent tens of hours of labor on your cake, but now my costs are not even covered because your mother didn't feel my beginner efforts were up to the standard of a seasoned professional that would have charged you eight or nine hundred dollars. So I am in the hole because of this "favor" you've asked for.

Please take this $70 and spend it on something nice for your mother. And please do not ever call me for a cake again."

Please send it!

I'd only change one line: "Please take this $70 and buy your mother a heart and a conscience. AND DON'T EVER CALL ME FOR A CAKE AGAIN!"

Rae

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:37am
post #32 of 100

Thanks for your support. I feel really taken advantage of!! Did I mention that I let this woman borrow my square cake stand also at no charge and that I purchased her cake topper because she couldn't find one in gold (Yeah right!) so I guess I felt bad for her and went to hobby lobby the day before her wedding and brought one for her. But wait, there's more. This is the kicker...I got a picture of the cake sent to me from the photographer and the cake didn't look bad. I emailed the photographer about my situation and she said that the MIL also called her demanding a refund AND the caterer (who is a friend of the photographer) got the same exact call!!! I feel furious! I don't know what to do or should I even call this woman and ask her what her true intentions are. I don't know if she's running a scam, is cheap, is truly unsatisfied with the services provided or all the above. Arghhhhh!
Fedra

theonlynameleft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theonlynameleft Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #33 of 100

Tell the woman that hopefully her disappointment is somehow lessened by the fact that the cake was free.

And keep the $70 for the topper and stand hire thumbs_up.gif

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:45am
post #34 of 100

She's refund shopping.

I changed my mind. Tell her to go to Hell.

Sleep well knowing that you did the right thing.

Let her try to get any $$. No court will tell you to return a gift--and your daughter is old enough to testify to exactly what that biotch said to her.

Rae

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #35 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

She's refund shopping.

Let her try to get any $$. No court will tell you to return a gift--and your daughter is old enough to testify to exactly what that biotch said to her.

Rae

This. Exactly.

momtofourmonkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momtofourmonkeys Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:03am
post #36 of 100

I agree with the others on this one! Even though you told her you would refund the money, send her nothing! Keep the $70 as payment toward the topper and rent on the stand. Cake was free and she can eat dirt! All she wants is a free wedding.

boomerangbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boomerangbaker Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:10am
post #37 of 100

Give her a $70 credit towards a future cake purchase of $1000.00 or more....

Smallfrye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smallfrye Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:16am
post #38 of 100

I would get ahold of the bride, she may not know this is going on. And it could come back on her if she need services from any of you (photographer, caterer, etc..)again in the future. Plus service providers are friends with other service providers and they will talk. If she does know about it be sure to warn others about her and her MIL's scam. icon_evil.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:22am
post #39 of 100

Unbelievable. I hope you already got your stand back because I'm sure that's worth more than $70.

I wouldn't sent one penny to the MIL. If she phones you again tell her you are waiting to hear from the bride before you do anything since you had a "very interesting" conversation with their photographer.

So is the photographer refunding money too?

fondantgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fondantgrl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:31am
post #40 of 100

A sucker is born every minute icon_evil.gif

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:31am
post #41 of 100

Oh, my! Deduct the cost of the stand and the topper from the $70. Refund her the difference.

The cake may have been no charge but the extras MUST be reimbursed!

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:37am
post #42 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Oh, my! Deduct the cost of the stand and the topper from the $70. Refund her the difference.

I would say definitely not to refund the money, but if you have to, do what All4cake says. You took money out of your pocket to help her. Deduct the cost of all you ingredients and the stand and topper and send her the receipts and you will probably find she owes you.

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:39am
post #43 of 100
Quote:

icon_confused.gif did you not read the whole thread? the last post she made she found out the MOB is calling everyone to get refunds...she did not have a disaster, the MOB is looking for a free wedding!

sounds like buyers remorse now! she wants a free wedding...don't give it to her! did you say you already sent her the $70? i sure hope not icon_redface.gif

step0nmi Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:42am
post #44 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljchevygirl

Quote:

I would say definitely not to refund the money, but if you have to, do what All4cake says. You took money out of your pocket to help her. Deduct the cost of all you ingredients and the stand and topper and send her the receipts and you will probably find she owes you.

oOOOO! I like the idea of sending her copies of receipts! icon_twisted.gif

smallfrye, i'm not sure why you would mention anything to the bride. the customer is the MOB and it's not the cake decorators job to go telling the bride that her mother is a B*&%! the bride probably already knows and might even be embarrassed!

I say put this lady on the *NO MORE CAKES FOR YOU* list icon_wink.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:46am
post #45 of 100

Actually it's the mother of the groom and she went to the consult with the bride and is now calling all of the vendors while her son and daughter-in-law are honeymooning.

Nice MIL.

step0nmi Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:48am
post #46 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

Actually it's the mother of the groom and she went to the consult with the bride and is now calling all of the vendors while her son and daughter-in-law are honeymooning.

Nice MIL.

icon_eek.gificon_surprised.gificon_eek.gificon_surprised.gif

I must've skimmed over that information somehow...what a piece of work! icon_evil.gif

all4cake Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:56am
post #47 of 100

lol...yes, I read the whole thread. I read that OP stated she didn't want payment for it to begin with so returning the $70 shouldn't be a big deal and she informed her that she would return the $70 gift. Although the OP didn't want to accept money for the cake, the extras...the stand and topper...shouldn't be included in the free cake.

fedra Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:58am
post #48 of 100

I haven't sent her any money yet and actually I don't think I will after my conversation with the photographer. The photographer said that she had offered the MIL a 30% refund given her dissatisfaction however she and the caterer are now reconsidering given the situation with me. They are going to try to contact other service providers (like the DJ, florist, etc.) to find out if they had any issues with the MIL before they send her anything. I think I'll do the same. I think the bride is aware of this situation. Now that I look back on it, I think that the bride was trying to keep my cakestand also as there was every excuse in the world as to why she just didn't have time to drop it off or even meet me somewhere. I finally just drove to her home when I knew she would be there and called her telling her I was in the neighborhood and could just pick up the stand right then and there. It took her like 15 mins to go and find the stand (the whole time I was waiting on her porch) and when I got it back, all she said was "ok, here it is". I found it odd that she couldn't even say thanks and that she mentioned absolutely nothing of her wedding, let alone wedding cake. I guess karma will take care of these people.
Fedra

all4cake Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:58am
post #49 of 100

honeymooning locally...

Someone should contact the local Motel 6 and inform them they too should expect a call as soon as the couple leaves.

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:01am
post #50 of 100

Ok, MIL sounds seriously "strange". Why would she take it upon herself to create a list and be calling all the wedding vendors wanting a refund while the bride and groom are on honeymoon? That's just odd! So is she an equal opportunity con?!

And um, how did she come up with $70? Why $70? More than 50 but not quite 100?

You made the cake based on your relationship with the bride, so that's why I think it's appropriate for the bride to be made aware what's happening. And for MIL to say "SHE paid so much..." and then "WE regret not paying $500 for the cake" - really???? Was she appointed Finance Commissioner for/by the bride.

You may have already told MIL you'd pay her back the $70, but I think you should charge for materials, the topper and the stand and net that against the $70 and I'm sure she'd owe you an additional check!

ljchevygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljchevygirl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:03am
post #51 of 100

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

step0nmi Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:22am
post #52 of 100
Quote:

lol...yes, I read the whole thread. I read that OP stated she didn't want payment for it to begin with so returning the $70 shouldn't be a big deal and she informed her that she would return the $70 gift. Although the OP didn't want to accept money for the cake, the extras...the stand and topper...shouldn't be included in the free cake.

gift/tips should not be refunded...it is exactly that icon_lol.gif

Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:05am
post #53 of 100
Quote:

I'd only change one line: "Please take this $70 and buy your mother a heart and a conscience. AND DON'T EVER CALL ME FOR A CAKE AGAIN!"

Rae

It would take a whole heck of a lot more than $70 for a heart and conscience for that lady!!

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 5:25am
post #54 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedra

I haven't sent her any money yet and actually I don't think I will after my conversation with the photographer. The photographer said that she had offered the MIL a 30% refund given her dissatisfaction however she and the caterer are now reconsidering given the situation with me. They are going to try to contact other service providers (like the DJ, florist, etc.) to find out if they had any issues with the MIL before they send her anything. I think I'll do the same. I think the bride is aware of this situation. Now that I look back on it, I think that the bride was trying to keep my cakestand also as there was every excuse in the world as to why she just didn't have time to drop it off or even meet me somewhere. I finally just drove to her home when I knew she would be there and called her telling her I was in the neighborhood and could just pick up the stand right then and there. It took her like 15 mins to go and find the stand (the whole time I was waiting on her porch) and when I got it back, all she said was "ok, here it is". I found it odd that she couldn't even say thanks and that she mentioned absolutely nothing of her wedding, let alone wedding cake. I guess karma will take care of these people.
Fedra

I would wait to hear back from all the other service providers... Would you tip someone at a restaurant and then go back in the morning and ask for your tip back? Thats exactly what shes doing. Wedding are expensive and this was probably her plan all along.

MY DJ called my husband by the wrong name 4-5 times at our wedding. 3 of the times were ON VIDEO. I still paid the DJ fee.. I just didn't give him a tip.
He still did his job. I didn't kick him out. I probably should have created more of a fuss... But I'm a decent person unlike this lady! It would have been customary to give him another $200 or so... So I felt it was enough to withhold that.

pixiefuncakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pixiefuncakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:11am
post #55 of 100

I'm feeling a little bit sorry for the bride, with all the things they were unhappy with at their wedding - must have been a miserable day!

Tails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tails Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:07pm
post #56 of 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

The only thing I can think of that would explain her phone call is that the photo they gave you for inspiration was a fondant cake, were they expecting fondant?

I am interested in this too....its a difference I noticed in the pic as well. There are a few noticable differences that could have misled them (ie the top tier isnt tilted as it is in the example pic, the gold bands are thicker, and the tassles of the ribbon dont extend as far as the example: not huge issues, but they do make a difference to the overall look/appeal of the cake).

The cake is lovely, dont get me wrong (esp for a first wedding cake!!) and that woman has NO right to complain OR ask for money back! I just made my own birthday cake, a meagre 1 tier cake with basic buttercream and MMF and it took me ages (not yet in my pics), I can only imagine the effort you went through for this one.

lecie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecie Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 2:39pm
post #57 of 100
Quote:

She's refund shopping.

Rae

Yes it is! She is scamming everyone! Wow, how does she sleep at night!

fedra Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:01pm
post #58 of 100

She brought in a pic as a reference. She left with the understanding that I would TRY and duplicate and that it would not look the same given that I had never made a wedding cake and this one was basically free. I never intended to mislead her and I don't believe I did. I do this for family and friends only. I had worked with this girl about 6 months ago and she came to me knowing my background and experience. I did this for her because I still considered her a friend (now not really).

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 3:20pm
post #59 of 100

I agree that you should not send the $70 back. I can't believe how incredibly ungrateful they are! They not only took advantage of a very kind favor, but then tried to ruin your confidence in your skills as well. You did a wonderful job for your first wedding cake, you were up front with them about your skill set and provided them with a pretty cake. I would be more than willing to bet $70 that you out of pocket was more than that (don't forget things like gas to get to the store, deliver the cake & pick up your stolen stand, paper towels, cleaner, soap, parchment paper, food coloring, gas, electric, etc.).

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 4:55pm
post #60 of 100

No refund,No nothing..Except a kick in the A$$....She;s trying to ge refunds from everyone,,,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%