Where Do You Buy Your Good Quality Vanilla?

Baking By KayMc Updated 23 Aug 2011 , 12:01am by Ursula40

KayMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayMc Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:45am
post #1 of 18

I bought some good vanilla from Amazon, and am in need of ordering more. Where do you all buy your good vanilla?

17 replies
jmr531 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmr531 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:50am
post #2 of 18

Are you talking about beans, extract, or paste? I buy vanilla paste from Albert Uster Imports and love it.

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 2:52am
post #3 of 18

I used to be able to get Madagascar vanilla, from a seed company and I loved it, but haven't been able to get there lately and have just used what I had on hand and Wilton's Vanilla too. I like to make my own when I can. It takes a month and sometimes I have to buy a bottle while what I am making is doing it's thing. So that is just a little more expensive. Haven't done it for a while.

jenng1482 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenng1482 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:15am
post #4 of 18

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=danncy+vanilla&_sacat=0&_odkw=daisy+vanilla&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313

love this stuff!

i just bought some vanilla powder. I had never seen it before and an excited to experiment with it

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:24am
post #5 of 18

I like to use Nielsen-Massey vanilla. They have the powdered and the vanilla bean paste too. I'm not sure of the prices. Here is the link: http://www.nielsenmassey.com/

I have ordered from them for many years and the customer service has been excellent.

HTH

Michele

BoozeBabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BoozeBabe Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:31am
post #6 of 18

I go on cruises a lot and found Mexican vanilla in Cozumel several years ago. My family noticed a difference in my Christmas cookies the first time I used it and they had no clue I was using Mexican vanilla. Its the only one I use now. I buy several bottles whenever I go. I also gave it as souvenirs to a select few. It is very reasonably priced too. So if you have a stop planned in Cozumel get some there. I also get rave reviews on my buttercream with it. And a couple teaspoons in French Toast is fantastic.

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:52am
post #7 of 18

I am a fan of Watkin's vanilla. I buy it at Meijer.

fabray13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fabray13 Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:53am
post #8 of 18

I have found extract and beans from tjmaxx/home goods. Its usually where I buy it now.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 20 Aug 2011 , 3:59am
post #9 of 18

I like Penzey's double strength madagascar bouron vanilla. If there's not a store near you (almost as fun as shoe shopping icon_lol.gif) you can get a catalog or order online http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysdoublestrengthvanilla.html.

jules5000 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:23am
post #10 of 18

I liked Watkins Vanilla also, but it has gotten really expensive and the only time I can get it is once a year. I have tried to find a reliable Watkins dealer in my area and it hasn't happened. As much as I bake I would need it more frequently than once a year, but I can not afford two bottles at one time when it is available.

magicjulie1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
magicjulie1 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:35am
post #11 of 18

I use the high quality, but I get mine at Ross and Marshall's. I usually don't pay more than 6 bucks for a good size bottle.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #12 of 18

Buy bulk beans, buy vodka, make your own. Nothing compares. I know you all think you have the best because that's what you've been conditioned or cajoled into thinking, but it just ain't so.

jules5000 Posted 21 Aug 2011 , 3:43am
post #13 of 18

mariacakestoo, where do you get your bulk beans? I love making homemade vanilla. What is the price and how much do you have to buy at one time? WOUld love to hear about this. Thanks.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:02am
post #14 of 18

Yeah - I have some beans - please do share how you make yours!

nananina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nananina Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 6:35am
post #15 of 18

I'm guessing it's the same vanilla that previous posts have referred to. I buy my Watkin's Vanilla in the WalMart buy us. I don't think I pay more then $2 for a bottle.

jules5000 Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:35pm
post #16 of 18

Vanilla: 1/3C. Vodka, 1 t. sugar 1 vanilla bean cut and all the beans scraped into jar with vodka and sugar. Seal and shake it good then shake it everyday for a month. Most of the time I do really good to remember to shake it the first 2 weeks about everyother day and then after that it is just when I remember it, but it still seems to turn out fine. a month is a long time for us to remember to shake it every day when we have so much going on.

you did not mention where you got the bulk vanilla beans? Either that or I totally missed it. Which I can do quite easily. Thank you.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 22 Aug 2011 , 9:47pm
post #17 of 18

Thanks Jules - I had gotten my beans through a coop on another forum.

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 23 Aug 2011 , 12:01am
post #18 of 18

www.madavanilla.com

reasonably priced and very good quality

I buy a lot every two years

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%