Calling All Cake Pop Makers

Baking By evans000 Updated 19 Aug 2011 , 4:15am by SomethingSweetByFlo

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 12:57pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Guys ive done some cake pops and they've turned out not too bad apart from this disgusting oil that leaks out.

What causes that and where is it coming from, the buttercream? the wilton candy melts?

Also if i have left over wilton candy melts (melted), can i let it set and use it again.

Helen

11 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:42pm
post #2 of 12

Hi,
What kind of recipe did you use, I make them using ready cooked cake leftovers, crumbling them, mixing them with melted white choc and melted butter, rolling into balls, jabbing with the lollipop stick, fridge, covering in milk choc, fridge and enjoy!

This is the recipe, although I'd I'd use less butter and more white choc for the inside, and there's no need for the lemon!
http://www.oetker.co.uk/oetker_uk/recipes/individual_cakes__muffins/flower_cake_pops.html?TTKey=gesamt

Hope this helps! thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 5:46pm
post #3 of 12

P.S Remelting is ok! icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 6:08pm
post #4 of 12

It's probably the oil in the candy melts.

ForTheLoveOfFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ForTheLoveOfFrosting Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 12

I don't use wilton melts anymore... I use mercken's chocolate and don't have that problem anymore.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 7:38pm
post #6 of 12

I thought that was odd to see also. I made some cakepops on Sunday and saw some oily drips, but only under some, not all. And the drips were small. Wasn't alarming, just really, really odd....

TinkerCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TinkerCakes Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 8:22pm
post #7 of 12

I use Make-n-mold candy wafers (they look exactly like candy melts) and I have never had this problem. I crumble a cake, add some frosting, roll them in a ball (not tight), drip the stick in melted candy, put the stick in the cake ball, wait for it to dry.. then dip the cake pops in the melted wafers. I do not freeze or refrigerate (unless I pop it in the fridge for a minute or 2 to help dry the candy "shell") I have never had them crack either. Once in awhile I add some shortening to thin out the candy before dipping.

I'm scared to do it any other way because of all the problems I hear with this oil or cracking! It sounds like it may be the wilton candy melts causing the oil....maybe???

xoxoemilyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoemilyrae Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 9:19pm
post #8 of 12

I had the same problem with Wilton. I switched to Ghirardelli chocolate and have never had an issue. If I have too (like with my Sister-In-Law being allergic to Chocolate) i'll use the Wilton Melts. BUT I always warn the customer of the oil drips if thats what they want.

evans000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
evans000 Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 12

thanks guys. It must be the candy melts then, like you said sandy mine were the same some dripped not all.

If i use the candy melts i'll warn people, it does look awful though very off putting.

I'm from the UK so we dont have any mercken's chocolate, Make-n-mold candy wafers or Ghirardelli chocolate i dont think so anyway. I might just try it with chocolate chips.

Does anyone know if i use white choc chips when do i colour the chips. It'll be cheaper to use choc chips those candy melts are pricey i think x

FACSlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FACSlady Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:14pm
post #10 of 12

The only time I see oil is if there is a crack in the coating.

xoxoemilyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoemilyrae Posted 18 Aug 2011 , 11:15pm
post #11 of 12

I've found White Chocolate Chips to be REALLY hard to color. If you use too much coloring the chocolate "hardens" back up super fast (esp. with the water based colorings). Wiltons color paste is much better. I color it while I'm melting so it all mixes together evenly without scortching.

SomethingSweetByFlo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SomethingSweetByFlo Posted 19 Aug 2011 , 4:15am
post #12 of 12

It's probably because of the oil in the cake and a small portion of the cake didn't get covered with the chocolate. Oil may have separated from the cake and started to leak...

I prefer butter based cakes. I never have that problem with my cake anymore, only when I have used oil based cake box mixes.

I don't think it has anything to do with temp. I've actually have found it much easier and successful to make and assemble cake pops when the cake is cold. I always thin out my chocolate with vegetable oil and it doesn't leak any oil.

And yes, you can def reuse melting chocolate...just be sure that any chocolate that has extra oil in it (used for thinning out chocolate) is labeled and not used to decorate a pop (it'd be too thin).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%