Is A Cream Cheese Based Icing A Problem Under Fondant

Decorating By JulieOD Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm by JulieOD

JulieOD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulieOD Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 7

I'm working on a cake and decided to make them cookies and cream. I realized the cookies & cream icing has cream cheese in it. I'm concerned that it may be too wet/or an issue for covering the cake in fondant (going to be sculpting into a boat shape). Is cream cheese based frosting harder to work with - using fondant. I never have. Thanks!

6 replies
howboutbake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howboutbake Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:46pm
post #2 of 7

I'm actually about to do one myself.

From what I've read it seems to be ok, but the cake shouldn't be refrigerated, or something like that.

Sorry I couldn't give you any hard advice. This is my first one as well!

JulieOD Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 4:51pm
post #3 of 7

Hmm- with cream cheese- it would need to be refrigerated though. I normally refrigerate my fondant cakes in the summer and have been ok- occassionally a little wet in an area- but it's humid here in NY now and i couldn't leave it out!

CutieMcCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutieMcCakes Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 7

i am not a pro, but i don't recommend it, i don't typically put cream cheese icing as a icing, only as a filling with a WBC dam and on outside. b/c of the high butter that my recipe has, if it gets humid or hot, things can slide around or off... and then you've got unhappy customers.

kristanashley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kristanashley Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 5:10pm
post #5 of 7

The only time I ever tried it didn't work out. Maybe other people have better luck.

katj012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katj012 Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:36pm
post #6 of 7

I posted on the other thread with this topic, but will add to this one too.

Cream cheese is only for the very very brave IMO. I just did cream cheese icing under fondant for a small 1-tier baby shower cake recently and absolutely hated it. It just does NOT harden enough.

If you absolutely want to do it, my suggestion would be to freeze the cake once it's been frosted and smoothed, to allow that frosting to REALLY harden - then immediately put the fondant on before it thaws.

It's definitely doable (I just refrigerated mine) - but it doesn't end up looking as pretty as with normal frosting underneath (at least for me).

JulieOD Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 6:45pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks all. I like the idea of just doing it in in between the cakes and regular buttercream on top. Of course I jumped the gun and already made the frosting. I will do it that way next time. I will do a very think layer on the top and sides and try freezing it really well. At least the icing tastes good. I'm putting a lot of figures on the boat so it will hopefully cover up any errors. I will put it aside for tomorrow!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%