Cover Rkt With Fondant?

Decorating By ylil Updated 17 Aug 2011 , 11:18am by ylil

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:03pm
post #1 of 4

I am trying to make a lamppost out of RKT and want to cover it with fondant. Should I lay it on it's (lamppost) side, cover and form it to treat? How thick/thin should the fondant be and would it be better to add a little gumpaste to it for sturdiness? Thanks so much!

lily

3 replies
jewels710 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels710 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 2:40pm
post #2 of 4

Seems that on its side would be much easier for covering it.
Thickness depends on the smoothness of your RKT underneath.
A lot of people coat the RKT with melted choc or RI to get it nice and smooth before covering it with fondant or every lil bump will show through.
As far as adding GP - I don't know. For me it would depend on how far in advance I was completing it or if I was using MMF vs something like Satin Ice that I know will dry harder that MMF would.

cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 12:43am
post #3 of 4

You don't have to add gumpaste for sturdiness, just ensure your RKT are more compressed - crush them up more. Put them in a lg ziplock and roll over with rolling pin. Make the RKT as always, but use less butter.

You could lay it on it's side or wrap it front to back and seal the seam at the back. I have done that with tall objects.

And just make sure you freeze the finished product if you are using it even more than a couple of days after you make it. I didn't and mine was stale. I used melted choc under that fondant and that works really well.

ylil Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ylil Posted 17 Aug 2011 , 11:18am
post #4 of 4

THANK YOU both *so* much!!

lily

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%