Black Royal Icing Recipe- How Do I Do It?

Baking By Jolene5472 Updated 15 Aug 2011 , 5:12pm by KathysCC

Jolene5472 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolene5472 Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 5

Hi everyone!

Does anyone have a recipe for jet black royal icing? I have a cake coming up and I don't know how to make my royal icing a true black. Currently I buy my black buttercream icing, so I'm stumped when it comes to black royal icing.

Thanks in advance!!

4 replies
SweetSuzieQ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSuzieQ Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:19pm
post #2 of 5

I'm not sure, but, would guess it would be the same prinipal as black fondant. Replace some of the PS with cocoa powder to make it dark and then use black gel coloring?

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

sewsugarqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sewsugarqueen Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 5

While in theory the chocolate royal icing should darken easily I have never tried it because of the coco. I have 2 ways I darken black and I use Amerigel or Crystal Colors ( powder).
1st day I add a bit of dark purple ( just a touch) and black color. Stir well . I add more colour until it's a very dark grey=black. Let sit overnight and then next day add more black colour. I find it takes almost my whole bottle or 2 small powders to add to get a true black. By letting it sit overnight the color darkens and gets more intense.
Best way was combo of Amerigel first day and second day used powdered black. I make a pint of black at a time and use it over next two weeks.

mariacakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariacakestoo Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #4 of 5

It's not really complicated. Before adding the liquid to make the RI, start off with the black color FIRST and THEN add the water until it's just right. Very esay, no complicated making days ahead stuff.

KathysCC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathysCC Posted 15 Aug 2011 , 5:12pm
post #5 of 5

I don't have a problem turning royal icing black. I just make my regular white royal icing and then add Wilton black coloring. Remember, it will dry much blacker than it looks in the bowl. Make it a very dark gray. To test the color, spread some on the back of a white plate and let it dry for 30 minutes or so. You will see that you don't need as much black coloring as you think. I find royal much easier to color than buttercream.

Also, since for most purposes you don't need a lot, only make what you need. If you try to color an entire batch or royal, it will take a lot of coloring.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%