Bouquet Cookies Rolling Around! Help!

Baking By vitomiriam Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 2:48am by vitomiriam

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 9

After I insert my cookies into the styrofoam, they roll around. How do I prevent this from happening? I made a bouquet once and used clay and it didn't happen, but clay is much too expensive.

8 replies
wanda45 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wanda45 Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #2 of 9

your styrofoam must be a tight fit in your container.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:45pm
post #3 of 9

Is the styrofoam moving or are the cookies moving? If the cookies themselves are moving, then you might be doing too much "wiggling" to get them into the styrofoam, making the hole for the stick larger and giving it room to move.

We push our stick thru the tissue paper and into the styrofoam. One, it helps set the tissue paper properly for us and two, it kinda fills up the hole with some extra material to hold the stick snug.

Alnee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alnee Posted 22 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 9

I use masking tape on the end of the sticks to help them stay put in the styrofoam. Put the stick in first, and then remove the stick and put masking tape on the end, and put it back into the same hole.

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 23 Jan 2007 , 1:04pm
post #5 of 9

I have the perfect solution for you. I used to hot glue the sticks in the styrofoam. However, when I had 25 pots to do last fall and each guest needed to remove a cookie at the end of the night as a favor, I was forced to find a different solution - and fortunately, I did. I'll share it with everyone ...

I simply wrap a 2" x 2" square of rubber grip (the stuff you put underneath a cutting board to keep it from slipping) around the bottom of the stick before inserting it into the foam. Sometimes I need to use two pieces for one cookie because it's thin. Sorry, I don't know what it's called exactly - but I get it at Walmart for either .99 or 1.99 a roll in the kitchen accessories area. It works awesome. And it even comes in a greenish color that matches the color of styrofoam. Don't buy the more expensive Rubbermaid product - the sticks poke through the holes easier. This technique works awesome and when you pull the cookie stick out, the rubber stays in the styrofoam, so no one will ever see it!!

Good luck - let me know if it works for you.

-TS Cookies

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:10am
post #6 of 9

I recently switched from styrofoam to floral oasis...the really soft stuff that florists use with flowers. Weird, I know, because it's soft, HOWEVER, it works AWESOME! I find that its consistency "bites" or holds onto my sticks much better than styrofoam....and as indydebi stated, I push the stick "thru" the filler shred so some of the shred goes into the hole with the stick and helps secure it tightly! The other thing I like about the Oasis is the fact that it is soft and will fit virtually any kind of container I have because it "molds" into the shape very nicely...and it's a heck of a lot cleaner and easier to cut than styrofoam! I'm SOLD on it!

cookiecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiecreations Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:30pm
post #7 of 9

I use the floral oasis too and it's great!

bella9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bella9 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 8:03pm
post #8 of 9

Good to know!

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:48am
post #9 of 9

Ladies, thank you ALL for your ideas!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%