Frozen Cake Question

Decorating By Yoann26 Updated 14 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm by glendaleAZ

Yoann26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yoann26 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:21am
post #1 of 8

How long can I let a cake in the freezer and still be fresh?
Can it be on a freezer for a week and still be nice and soft when is ready to be eaten?

Thanks in advance

Yoann

7 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:01am
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoann26

How long can I let a cake in the freezer and still be fresh?

Six months to a year, if it's wrapped properly. (1st anniversary tiers are frozen for at least a year.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoann26

Can it be on a freezer for a week and still be nice and soft when is ready to be eaten?

In a freezer, yes. (Wholesalers ship frozen cakes all the time... by the time the are received, sold to consumers, thawed, and served they may have been frozen for a lot longer than a week.)

Yoann26 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:05am
post #3 of 8

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW is all i can say.

Thanks

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 5:13am
post #4 of 8

I usually put my cakes in the freezer for a week or two depending on how many I need to make -- I like to bake one weekend and then decorated on the next. IMO my cakes are moister after being in the freezer.

I heard that you can leave them in the freezer up to 2 months and they will taste the same - but I've never had them in there that long before.

Be sure to use heavy duty foil.

Hope this helps,
Tammy

suzied Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzied Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

I usually put my cakes in the freezer for a week or two depending on how many I need to make -- I like to bake one weekend and then decorated on the next. IMO my cakes are moister after being in the freezer.

I heard that you can leave them in the freezer up to 2 months and they will taste the same - but I've never had them in there that long before.

Hope this helps,
Tammy

Sorry to hi jack Tammy, so do you wrap the cake only with foil? also when you take it out of the freezer, when can you start to, fill, cover and decorate the cake. can you do this even with a plain chocolate cake.TIA

mplaidgirl2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mplaidgirl2 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 12:58pm
post #6 of 8

I've never frozen a cake but would love to hear the responses. I have my first weekend of 3 cakes. Freezing might be a good option.

Yoann26 Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by glendaleAZ

Foil??? I always wrapp my cakes with clear wrapping paper. Is foil better?

Thanks
Hope this helps,
Tammy

glendaleAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glendaleAZ Posted 14 Aug 2011 , 4:33pm
post #8 of 8

Hi suzied,

Yes, all you need is heavy duty foil, but be careful not to wrap your cake too tight as it will pull down the top/bottom edges of the cake and then you'll have smashed-down-sides that do not bounce back after defrosting. I usually wait for my cake to be slightly warm to my touch before I wrap them and then put them in the freezer -- I don't put them in the freezer while they are still hot.

I do this will all my cakes, box or scratch, and all flavors. I especially like it for my box cakes because it seems to change the texture of the cake to make it denser for carving and stacking.

The night before I want to fill/decorate my cake I will take the cake out of the freezer and then put it directly into the frig to defrost. I only put it in the frig overnight because that's what works in my process, but it really only needs a couple of hours to defrost. I don't like taking my cakes straight out of the freezer to defrost on the counter, because there seems to be a lot more condensation when I do that.

Tammy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%