My First Wedding Cake Delivery..? Reguarding Table And Other

Business By fedra Updated 13 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm by CWR41

fedra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fedra Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 4

I made my first wedding cake delivery today (in my gallery)! It went smoother than I thought. When I asked the FOB where the cake table was at, he pointed to a very small table with an unpressed cloth and when I looked underneath, the legs seemed very thin and weak. The table as a whole seemed weak. When the bride signed the contract, I specifically went over table requirements with her. I specified that the table needed to be atleast 30" wide as I was using a 22" cake stand. I told the FOB that the table was questionable as it was a little wider than the cakestand itself and unsturdy but he seemed in a rush (as everyone is on wedding day!) and said that there was no other table. He told me to place the cake down and they will "move" it later when they find another table. I went ahead and did just that. I hope nothing will happen to the cake. Is there anything different that I should of done in this situation? Also, I left a small folder with cake cutting directions, rental equipment contract copy, food grade gloves in a ziplock bag, and a few buissness cards at the reception. Is there anything else you recommend I also leave. TIA!
Fedra

3 replies
Kaykaymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kaykaymay Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 4

I hope you took a picture of the cake at the hall. The only other thing I could think of is a received in good condition delivery note that the father could of signed wherein you could have probably made a little note that saying that the table provided was not stable (and take pics of the table) and as per dad's request the cake was left ........ to be moved (by him) when a better table becomes available. and let him initial that part. It's better to be safe than sorry.

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:06pm
post #3 of 4

Good job trying to get it done right. If it collapses, they will try to blame you, but since you talked with the FOB, you always have that to fall back on.

Since you said comments and suggestions are welcome, I'll let you know that ribbon borders like that do a lot better if you let the fondant set up a bout 15 minutes before you move it to the cake. It helps to keep it from getting misshapen.

Also, I make my bows off the cake with 50/50 gumpaste and fondant the day before, and make the tails separate. it helps to get the bow set up and keep a good shape. I put the tails on, then the hard bow/

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 9:07pm
post #4 of 4

Perhaps a box for the 1st anniversary cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%