**help Please** Chocolate Fondant Disaster!

Baking By lrlt2000 Updated 16 Aug 2011 , 1:53pm by lrlt2000

lrlt2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lrlt2000 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 8:32pm
post #1 of 5

If any of you remember, I posted about how to make chocolate fondant so I could dye black without using too much dye. The only time I've ever done it, I found (as I explained in that post) that it stayed crumbly and never got elastic. When I tried to rolled it out and pick it up to transfer, it just fell apart.

I took the advice from responders about adding chocolate to my regular MMF recipe, and did so. It's still doing the same thing for me! I need to finish this cake tonight!!!

What am I going to do!? Is there any way to fix this, or do I have to make a whole new batch dying it full black??? I already tried adding a little glycerin, but it didn't work. I added more p.s., more shortening, nothing. I also tried warming a little (5 seconds) and kneading more, but nothing has worked!

Please HELP!

4 replies
nana2me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nana2me Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 9:06pm
post #2 of 5

When I made my chocolate MMF I substituted some chocolate baking powder for some of the powdered sugar and I didn't have a problem with it (maybe I got lucky that day). Then I dyed it black and it came out pretty good.

I wish I could help more and I hope everything works out icon_smile.gif

lrlt2000 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:11am
post #3 of 5

nana2me: that's weird, that's exactly what I did the first time and this same thing happened. It just never got to the elastic phase in the kneading. This time, I tried melted baker's chocolate added in after melting the marshmallows. I'm stumped.

MHCakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MHCakes2 Posted 13 Aug 2011 , 12:47am
post #4 of 5

I make chocolate fondant for my black or brown fondant all the time and never have had any problems. This is the recipe I use:
16 oz chocolate marshmallows
2 lbs powdered sugar (you may not use all of the powdered sugar)
2-4 tbsp water (depends on humidity)
2 tbsp corn syrup
shortening

I put the marshmallows & start out with 2 tbsp water, then put them in the microwave for about 1 minute, stir, then repeat until melted. In my stand mixer, I grease the sides and dough hook (to help keeping it from sticking). I pour the melted marshmallows, corn syrup and part of the powdered sugar, mix it on low, then continue adding the powdered sugar until I get it pulling away from the sides (like bread dough) sticking to the hook. I then pour a little on a greased surface and put the fonant on there and start kneading until I get the proper texture.

HTH

lrlt2000 Posted 16 Aug 2011 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you, MHCakes: I will have to see if I can get a hold of those chocolate marshmallows!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%