Buttercream Disaster Emergency Help Help Help!!!

Decorating By CraveBakery Updated 12 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm by CraveBakery

CraveBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CraveBakery Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:05pm
post #1 of 17

Ok so just made a batch of american buttercream (4stick of butter) 2lbs pwd sugar, vanilla, salt.

I've made this before but this time it's grainy!!! I really really can't afford issues, I have 3 cakes due in the next two days. They are all childrens cake, and I wanted to do a frosting I could pipe and decorate.

I used the dominos x10 pure cane sugars (so i don't think it's that)

I've used the flour frosting (which I love) but it doesn't set up. I've used the SMBC and it doesn't set up. I need to make waves with this cake, so I wanted to know what should be the best buttercream?

Do you guys think it was just a rough bad bag of sugar??????? HELP
icon_cry.gif

16 replies
JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #2 of 17

Oh, I really want to help you, but I'm from the UK and the buttercream is different here to buttercream in the US. The buttercream I use is just butter and icing sugar, if its turned out grainy like as if it was ordinary sugar there has to be something wrong with the sugar,

How about this website it has loads of recipes for buttercreams and other fillings.
http://www.easy-cake-ideas.com/cake-filling.html

Hope this helps, good luck thumbs_up.gif

JamAndButtercream Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamAndButtercream Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 17

P.S
This is the buttercream recipe we use over there.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/basicbuttericing_73263

itscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itscake Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:19pm
post #4 of 17

try whipping it longer...

cakegirl1973 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegirl1973 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:20pm
post #5 of 17

If it were me, I would add no more than two tablespoons of milk (to try to dillute the sugar) and let it mix on my KA for a while(5-10 minutes). For next time, I always sift my powdered sugar, and I have never had a problem with my bc being 'grainy". HTH! Good luck--I am keeping my fingers crossed for you!

CraveBakery Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:22pm
post #6 of 17

I whipped it for an extended period of time, I let it sit over night and whipped it again, I added hot water...nothing worked. I just decided to start over. I'm hoping that all the sugar that I got was not bad, I bought the bags from the same store at the same time.

I might add some hi ratio shorting in this time, just to cut down on the butter I'm putting in.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:24pm
post #7 of 17

I did n't use Domino brand. But a few weeks ago I had a batch like that. It was so grainy. it was the powder sugar. I ran to the store and bought a diffrent brand. it was fine when I remade the icing

CakesbyDezign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyDezign Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:46pm
post #8 of 17

if you want a buttercream that will hold up and go hard use 1/2 butter and 1/2 shortening. Use the wilton white buttercream recipe. That will have no problems, piping, spreading and setting

CraveBakery Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 1:58pm
post #9 of 17

well my second batch was a little less grainy but still grainy, so I had to go ahead with it. I used it as the filling, and I will just need to go by some new sugar and throw the other away.

CakesbyDezign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyDezign Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:16pm
post #10 of 17

Anytime i make the all butter bc, tastes great but i always find it a little grainy.. Hope your next one is better!

jules5000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jules5000 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:21pm
post #11 of 17

I have not had grainy buttercream, but I have not used butter in mine because when I went through classes they advised not to because the butter in the buttercream icing would melt faster and your flowers and piping might not hold their shape. If you have really hot hands the buttercream with the shortening might not either. any way I think that if you put salt in your buttercream then it might be that your salt is not getting dissolved before you go further with your buttercream. You might want to put your salt in with the liquid you use and make sure it is completely dissolved. I do not spend the money on the more expensive sugars. I have never had this problem. I also was taught that if the salt does not get dissolved that your colors can get messed up on your cake. Good luck. I don't think it is your powdered sugar. I will add that I, too, always sift my powdered sugar for my buttercream. It is a little more time consuming, but I feel it is worth it.

millermom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millermom Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:31pm
post #12 of 17

Definitely your powdered sugar. Wilton claims that it needs to be 100% pure cane sugar. HTH

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 2:49pm
post #13 of 17

Meh, I buy Aldi brand powdered sugar ALL the time. But,m I use boiling water to dissolve the salt and the bit of granulated sugar I use with the meringue powder. That gets everything dissolved. Then let it sit on the mixer for a loooooong time.

CraveBakery Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 4:43pm
post #14 of 17

Yep it was the powered sugar. I would like to get away from using the butter powered sugar buttercream, but I haven't found something that will set up and crust like that will.

hammer1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hammer1 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #15 of 17

Had the same problem with the domino p suGar, we let t sit a while and then rewhipped, it helped a lot. Really like the aldi p sugar, but noticed some grainy texture the last time we used it. The producers are probably adding additional cornstarch to stretch and cheapen it.

paula0712 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula0712 Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 5:08pm
post #16 of 17

I use SugarShack's bc recipe and it turns out perfect every time. No grains and very smooth, tastes awesome, and sets up great! Works really well under fondant too!

CraveBakery Posted 12 Aug 2011 , 6:42pm
post #17 of 17

I stopped using Meringue Powder, because it made my icing crust to much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%