Still Looking For An Awesome Chocolate Cake!

Baking By nicunurse Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm by scp1127

nicunurse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicunurse Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:13am
post #1 of 7

Hi Folks!
I have tried many chocolate cake recipes, both scratch and box and I have yet to find my "go to recipe." Maybe I am being too picky... a chocolatey cake that holds up to carving, fondant and stacking. icon_smile.gif If anyone would like to share their secrets/recipes, my wallet would greatly appreciate it! Many thanks in advance icon_smile.gif

6 replies
elizaBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elizaBakes Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:37am
post #2 of 7

My go to chocolate (after many trials) is the one on the back of the Hershey's Cocoa powder. Its fantastic however I do reduce the amount of sugar. I believe its 1cup I only use 3/4 cup. I just yesterday I seen a post and someone else also uses this as their go-to. Hope you like

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:44am
post #3 of 7

I've based my chocolate cake recipe off of this one, but even as written it's a very good cake.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

One VERY important thing to remember when making chocolate cake is that you need to use the finest chocolate and cocoa available for the nice rich, deep chocolate flavor. The "hot brewed" coffee is another important factor, you won't taste the coffee flavor, but it's needed to enhance the chocolate. (don't use instant)

Notice the recipe calls for "fine quality" chocolate.

Hershey's recipe isn't strong enough for carving, IMHO.

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 2:53am
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakestyles

I've based my chocolate cake recipe off of this one, but even as written it's a very good cake.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Double-Chocolate-Layer-Cake-101275

One VERY important thing to remember when making chocolate cake is that you need to use the finest chocolate and cocoa available for the nice rich, deep chocolate flavor. The "hot brewed" coffee is another important factor, you won't taste the coffee flavor, but it's needed to enhance the chocolate. (don't use instant)

Notice the recipe calls for "fine quality" chocolate.

Hershey's recipe isn't strong enough for carving, IMHO.

I always use Callebaut chocolate when I need a good quality chocolate...but can you tell me have you carved a cake using this recipe? I need a chocolate cake recipe for carving a shark cake in the next few weeks and would like to try this recipe.

Thanks... icon_smile.gif

cakestyles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakestyles Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:08am
post #5 of 7

Hi,

Yes, I have. I've made purse cakes, flower pots (tapered), a diaper bag, and a mustang (car) with it.

I do however sub out butter for the oil.

One tip I can think of is to line the bottom and collar the sides of the pans with parchment, because it does tend to stick if you don't.

HTH

srkmilklady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srkmilklady Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 3:44am
post #6 of 7

Thanks cakestyles...will give it a try!

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:13pm
post #7 of 7

I don't have a go-to, I have three. With so many wonderful recipes and chocolates, I design mine around the complimentary fillings and frostings. I don't think one chocolate does it all.

My suggestion is to try different recipes with fillings and frostings for the cake you are looking for.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%