How Do You Do Your Cake Sketches?

Decorating By weidertm24 Updated 11 Aug 2011 , 1:22am by QTCakes1

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 10 Aug 2011 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 6

I'm still pretty new to this but I'm awful at drawing cakes. How do you draw up your designs? Do you have a template of like a three/four however many tiers in it's specific shape you have that you can just print and decorate it to how you want the cake to look. I really just do three tier round cakes and let me tell you my sketches look like a 6 year old did them because I'm not very consistent when I do just the cake shape. Any suggestions..?

5 replies
JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:22am
post #2 of 6

In the gallery there is a section for templates. There are several for different shapes and tier configuration. Here is a link. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

Nth!

JuliSchulze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuliSchulze Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:23am
post #3 of 6

I meant HTH! Just noticed that I've finally moved up to junior member! Woohoo!

weidertm24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weidertm24 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 12:27am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JuliSchulze

In the gallery there is a section for templates. There are several for different shapes and tier configuration. Here is a link. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&aid=121

Nth!

Awesome thanks! Congrats. I still thought I was still a junior member. Haha good day for the both of us!

cdgleason Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cdgleason Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:01am
post #5 of 6

WOW... I thought I was the only one who drew sketches that look like a 6 year old!!!
I can't draw a nice sketch to save my life, but..... even with my horrible sketchng skills, when I draw out a sketch before I start a sketch, my cakes turn out 100% better than they do if I don't have a sketch. not sure why, I just have a horrible drawing.. things like color, shapre, where I want my decorations, etc... sometimes I use colored pencils. I know there are some really good templates available here on cake central but I've never had my act together well enough to print them off in advance!!

QTCakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
QTCakes1 Posted 11 Aug 2011 , 1:22am
post #6 of 6

Pencil and sketch pad, try it. You'll be surprised how well you can draw a cake. I draw like a 4 yr. old myslef, but some reason cakes are different. Now If I got to draw a figure on theh cake, like a person, whoa does it suck! icon_biggrin.gif But I've had people say your a pretty good artist after one of my sketches. It's hard not to bust out laughing, cause I can't draw a very good smile face, so I say try it. You may be surprised.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%